The Student Room Group

applying to university through clearing

for anyone who has applied to university through clearing, or know someone who has, what is the process and how does it actually work?

I decided to change my course from psychology to nursing, but my ucas application has already been sent off meaning i need to wait until results day to reapply.

do i just need to call the uni i want to apply to and have my grades and ucas ID number ready?

Reply 1
Original post by _wis
for anyone who has applied to university through clearing, or know someone who has, what is the process and how does it actually work?

I decided to change my course from psychology to nursing, but my ucas application has already been sent off meaning i need to wait until results day to reapply.

do i just need to call the uni i want to apply to and have my grades and ucas ID number ready?

If you're certain that you want to change course, you could decline all your psychology offers and apply for nursing now through UCAS Extra.

Search on UCAS using the filter 'courses with vacancies' and then ring any unis you are interested in to confirm that they do have vacancies before you apply. You can only apply to one choice at a time.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/extra-choices
Original post by normaw
If you're certain that you want to change course, you could decline all your psychology offers and apply for nursing now through UCAS Extra.

Search on UCAS using the filter 'courses with vacancies' and then ring any unis you are interested in to confirm that they do have vacancies before you apply. You can only apply to one choice at a time.

im thinking about changing courses too, but how would this work with personal statements that don't match the course?
Original post by cherryblossomed
im thinking about changing courses too, but how would this work with personal statements that don't match the course?

When you call the uni to ask if they still have vacancies, ask if they will need a revised personal statement for the new course.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by normaw
When you call the uni to ask if they still have vacancies, ask if they will need a revised personal statement for the new course.

thank you very much!
If you are holding an offer and want to use clearing, you will need to self release into clearing, which will decline all your offers.

Whether you self release into clearing, or are simply not holding any offers to start with, you will then need to phone any uni(s) offering the course you are interested in to see if they will give you a verbal offer for that course (this normally happens on A-level results day for most students, although if you already have your results because you are an IB student or a gap year applicant and the course is already showing in clearing, you can get in touch now with them). Once you have a verbal offer, you will need to go on UCAS and add your choice and then the uni will confirm it.

They go first come first served so if you are an A-level student getting your results this year and planning to go through clearing, be ready to get up early on results day to start calling unis as soon as their clearing lines open!

As above, if the course is currently available in Extra just decline your offer now and get ahead of things by applying now :smile:

Note as above, you may need to submit a new personal statement when you apply through clearing if it's a different course, so get started writing it early!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
If you are holding an offer and want to use clearing, you will need to self release into clearing, which will decline all your offers.

Whether you self release into clearing, or are simply not holding any offers to start with, you will then need to phone any uni(s) offering the course you are interested in to see if they will give you a verbal offer for that course (this normally happens on A-level results day for most students, although if you already have your results because you are an IB student or a gap year applicant and the course is already showing in clearing, you can get in touch now with them). Once you have a verbal offer, you will need to go on UCAS and add your choice and then the uni will confirm it.

They go first come first served so if you are an A-level student getting your results this year and planning to go through clearing, be ready to get up early on results day to start calling unis as soon as their clearing lines open!

As above, if the course is currently available in Extra just decline your offer now and get ahead of things by applying now :smile:

Note as above, you may need to submit a new personal statement when you apply through clearing if it's a different course, so get started writing it early!

how do i self release into clearing? i have a firm and insurance choice already but I can't seem to find where it says to decline those offers to be released into clearing
Reply 8
Original post by normaw

is it possible to still decline the psychology offers since I've already chosen my firm and insurance choice? and thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by _wis
is it possible to still decline the psychology offers since I've already chosen my firm and insurance choice? and thanks for your help :smile:

I think you would need to phone UCAS to see if this is possible. Before you do that, are there any nursing courses you might be interested in at your current uni choices? If there are, then phone admissions first and ask if you can swap to a nursing course at this stage.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by _wis
how do i self release into clearing? i have a firm and insurance choice already but I can't seem to find where it says to decline those offers to be released into clearing

There should be an option called "decline all my offers" I believe? That would be the one.

Obviously, that will decline all your offers and you won't necessarily be able to undo that so make sure you are certain!
Original post by artful_lounger
There should be an option called "decline all my offers" I believe? That would be the one.

Obviously, that will decline all your offers and you won't necessarily be able to undo that so make sure you are certain!

I've just checked my daughter's UCAS account, and there isn't an option to decline offers once the firm and insurance have been selected.

The 'Decline my place' button can appear when clearing is open and when the applicant is holding a firm unconditional place (so for the majority of UK students that's going to be results day).
Original post by normaw
I've just checked my daughter's UCAS account, and there isn't an option to decline offers once the firm and insurance have been selected.

The 'Decline my place' button can appear when clearing is open and when the applicant is holding a firm unconditional place (so for the majority of UK students that's going to be results day).

Ah, interesting - I didn't know it didn't appear until after their offer was made unconditional. Probably sensible to ensure students don't accidentally to do it beforehand...!
Reply 13
Original post by _wis

I decided to change my course from psychology to nursing,

Go to an Open Day at any of the Unis that have Nursing courses that are being held in the next few weeks - example https://www.aru.ac.uk/study/open-day/book-your-place

Think carefully - Nursing isnt just 'a course', and you need both real commitment and relevant work experience to stand any sort of chance of a offer at this stage. Remember that these places are left only because the people who applied earlier were not good enough. Be very realistic about your chances. Nursing is rarely available in Clearing because of the need to Interview. A gap year with a job in a the Care sector would mean you had 5 choices, and probably a far more realistic chances of getting an offer.
Original post by _wis

Hello @_wis

I hope you're well. I actually applied to Coventry University through clearing. On results day, I found their clearing number hotline; and spoke with someone on the phone I simply relayed to them: my subject and grades, and the degree I want to study, alongside some personal details. I do also want to give you a heads up that it may not be that simple for you, as for nursing you do normally have to have an interview and it is quite rare for healthcare courses to have spaces to allow for clearing.

On results day, keep an eye on the university website you want to study at and they should have the clearing number ready & accessible.

Kind regards,
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Reply 15
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hello @_wis

I hope you're well. I actually applied to Coventry University through clearing. On results day, I found their clearing number hotline; and spoke with someone on the phone I simply relayed to them: my subject and grades, and the degree I want to study, alongside some personal details. I do also want to give you a heads up that it may not be that simple for you, as for nursing you do normally have to have an interview and it is quite rare for healthcare courses to have spaces to allow for clearing.

On results day, keep an eye on the university website you want to study at and they should have the clearing number ready & accessible.

Kind regards,
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

thank you so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending