The Student Room Group

english speaking assessment?

hey everyone,

so basically, yesterday at school everyone got their results back for an english assessment we did in year 9, that we were told went towards our final gcse grade for the subject.

i remember what we had to do was basically just write a speech, perform it to a camera and 2 other students, and then answer questions from the students. the recording was then sent off to an exam board(?), and the results have just been returned.

the only problem is, i never got to do mine. i remember being told i had a set day i had to prepare to do it on, but then i was never collected to perform it.

now im kinda worried about it. exams are next year (hopefully), but we've been repeatedly told that the speech we were meant to do mattered for at least Something. does anyone know what they matter for? and if me not having ever done it is going to be an issue?

sidenote: i have absolutely no idea why i never got taken to perform my speech, especially considering the other people i was in a group with did theirs. i repeatedly asked when i was supposed to do my one all the way through until the start of year 10, but i was always given a non-answer like "oh, soon. dont worry, a teacher will come and get you when its your turn". but apparently my turn never came...
Hey, with the spoken language endorsement, it doesn't actually count towards your English language grade and is a completely separate qualification so I wouldn't worry. I think your teachers are being overly dramatic lmao.
Since you're still in year 10, I would ask your teacher to do it at some point before the end of the year (I did mine during the spring of year 11, so it's never too late). You're also graded differently for it, with distinction being the highest and pass being the lowest but it doesn't count as a GCSE. Although it is compulsory, if a student hasn't completed it then they'll get "not classified" on their report card. I've also heard that it's getting dropped for 2022 exams because of covid? I may be mistaken though.
Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Salli00
Hey, with the spoken language endorsement, it doesn't actually count towards your English language grade and is a completely separate qualification so I wouldn't worry. I think your teachers are being overly dramatic lmao.
Since you're still in year 10, I would ask your teacher to do it at some point before the end of the year (I did mine during the spring of year 11, so it's never too late). You're also graded differently for it, with distinction being the highest and pass being the lowest but it doesn't count as a GCSE. Although it is compulsory, if a student hasn't completed it then they'll get "not classified" on their report card. I've also heard that it's getting dropped for 2022 exams because of covid? I may be mistaken though.

yeah, im familiar with the grading and everything, I just never understood why they would make such a big deal over it if it really didn't matter all too much? we havent been told anything about our english exams next year, other than we might be allowed to drop blood brothers from our english literature. we definitely havent been told anythings changing for the language exams, but maybe!
do you know what it would be useful for? i know it doesn't count as a gcse, but if you're being graded on it, surely it must be useful for something, right?
The grade will be on your gcse paper as (distinction,merit,pass).Its not important as no one will care or ask about this grade in the future .But dont worry about it as all the other school normally do it in year 10 so you will probably get a chance this year to do it.
Original post by g4m3rm0d_3
yeah, im familiar with the grading and everything, I just never understood why they would make such a big deal over it if it really didn't matter all too much? we havent been told anything about our english exams next year, other than we might be allowed to drop blood brothers from our english literature. we definitely havent been told anythings changing for the language exams, but maybe!
do you know what it would be useful for? i know it doesn't count as a gcse, but if you're being graded on it, surely it must be useful for something, right?

I heard that the English language endorsement is compulsory for you to get an English language grade (although it doesn't effect your grade overall), I guess that's the only use. It's also a good opportunity to improve communication skills so I get why it's part of the curriculum. But all in all, it's not very important at all.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonamyous :)
The grade will be on your gcse paper as (distinction,merit,pass).Its not important as no one will care or ask about this grade in the future .But dont worry about it as all the other school normally do it in year 10 so you will probably get a chance this year to do it.

currently 3 weeks away from the end of year 10, no mention of it being made? someone else i know asked if we get a chance to retake it, but she was just shrugged at and told they didn't know...
hi did you end up getting your english language gcse without it or did you end up doing it, just wondering as i am in the same position and im a bit nervous my teacher will tell me off for not doing it last year however i was sick at the time the speaking exams were being held
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest