The Student Room Group

Was I being 'disrespectful'?

There's this boy in my school whom I usually tolerate civilly. He's very antagonistic, calling me 'sweetheart' and other condescending nicknames which I've repeatedly asked him to stop doing yet he continues, saying 'I love it really'. He also makes comments e.g. 'I think you should get married early, it would be good for you' and 'you're going to be my wife, you little blonde bunny', which are very inflammatory.

Yesterday he kept asking me to go outside and talk to him as I was trying to revise, so I refused and asked him to leave me be. He wrote a question on a piece of paper which I didn't understand; I said I didn't understand, laughed and asked him to let me revise.

He came back and took 3 of my pens ( I can't believe how childish this all sounds - because he is literally a child at age 18). He says he won't give them back until I apologise because I 'disrespected him' by laughing at his question. I said he had never respected me in the past and had proven that by stealing my stuff.

Now he's angry at me. Honestly, I can live with his anger, but was I in the right?
Reply 1
Whoa.
Damn. That is some boy.

Obviously you are in the right! This boy must be given some education on how to respect people, and to especially not say these kind of derogatory things. If I were you, you should report this to your form tutor/homeroom teacher, as this is harassment. I am not kidding. Make the howitzer go away before it becomes a rocket (metaphor).
At the same time, this could mean that the boys in his year group are like that, so maybe you have the full potential to shut down this whole charade.

Cheers!

Original post by Anonymous
There's this boy in my school whom I usually tolerate civilly. He's very antagonistic, calling me 'sweetheart' and other condescending nicknames which I've repeatedly asked him to stop doing yet he continues, saying 'I love it really'. He also makes comments e.g. 'I think you should get married early, it would be good for you' and 'you're going to be my wife, you little blonde bunny', which are very inflammatory.

Yesterday he kept asking me to go outside and talk to him as I was trying to revise, so I refused and asked him to leave me be. He wrote a question on a piece of paper which I didn't understand; I said I didn't understand, laughed and asked him to let me revise.

He came back and took 3 of my pens ( I can't believe how childish this all sounds - because he is literally a child at age 18). He says he won't give them back until I apologise because I 'disrespected him' by laughing at his question. I said he had never respected me in the past and had proven that by stealing my stuff.

Now he's angry at me. Honestly, I can live with his anger, but was I in the right?
Original post by Anonymous

Absolutely in the right. Don't engage with someone so misogynistic you are only showing the same respect he showed you. There's no expectation to, but if you'd like you can try and make amends: just don't apologise for something you are so completely in the right about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending