The Student Room Group

Should I continue in this friendship?

I am in a tricky relationship with someone from my university year which can only be described as very shaky.

This person routinely and repeatedly gets extremely angry with me, often for absolutely no reason at all. In October, for instance, I felt I had the correct answer and not him, and he exploded from rage.

Recently, we were watching movies, and I asked him how this character can be stronger than the other. He got extremely offended and said he knows more about it, and I should just shut up.

Later, he laughed at a scene where someone was in distress, and I asked what was so funny. He called me a f* idiot when I said that and then insulted my mother subsequently.

When I tried to talk to him later after this, I got called the most disrespectful and rude person he had ever met, that I was full of rage (probably because I get emotional at some intense scenes in films) and that I have a talent for winding him up. He further claimed I have no social experience.

I don't know if I should continue with this friendship. On the one side, I want to be an adult and just not respond to the behaviour of a spoilt, aggravated child refused sweets. But on the other, I typically do not tolerate this attitude towards myself.
Reply 1
What 'friendship'? You haven't said anything positive about this guy that warrants you giving him any care or attention.

Ditch him.
No, don't continue with the friendship.

Avoid all close social involvement with anyone that has such bad manners and serious anger management problems.
It's only a matter of time before their behaviour will spirral into illegal action and risk causing you injury or intense disruption to your studies.
Good luck!
Reply 3
Truth is, I considered myself close with this person.
We helped each other out with assignments, and this term we watched films at his place every other day. However, he was constantly swearing and often saying very upsetting things.
Another anger outburst a few weeks ago occurred when he called me full of rage because I was disturbed by a scene in Iron Man 3 and began trying to say that I pounce on everyone, which is not true.
I don't know. He meant a lot to me, but saying all of these things about me and my family just because of a disagreement about a movie is, in my opinion, outrageous
Original post by Anonymous #1
We helped each other out with assignments, and this term we watched films at his place every other day. However, he was constantly swearing and often saying very upsetting things.
Another anger outburst a few weeks ago occurred when he called me full of rage because I was disturbed by a scene in Iron Man 3 and began trying to say that I pounce on everyone, which is not true.
I don't know. He meant a lot to me, but saying all of these things about me and my family just because of a disagreement about a movie is, in my opinion, outrageous
Text him that you feel disrespected. He'll probably blow up again, but if he does you know that he doesn't have the compassion towards you as a friend to understand how you feel. Ditch him then.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #2
Text him that you feel disrespected. He'll probably blow up again, but if he does you know that he doesn't have the compassion towards you as a friend to understand how you feel. Ditch him then.
I did text him after I got home that night. To my 'I appreciate you, and that's it' after I told him I was upset, he said:

'You're disrespectful, that's why I get mad. I don't care if you tell me you disagree with me, but you are literally the most disrespectful and rude human I know. And you keep winding me up'.

I don't know.
Reply 6
I did text him after I got home that night. To my 'I appreciate you, and that's it' after I told him I was upset, he said:
'You're disrespectful, that's why I get mad. I don't care if you tell me you disagree with me, but you are literally the most disrespectful and rude human I know. And you keep winding me up'.
I don't know.
Imagine a friend comes to you and says "There's a guy I'm friends with. I thought we were close as we've helped each other with assignments and watched films together. However, now he's always angry and swearing and being rude about me and my family."

What would you advise her to do?
He doesnt sound like a friend - so why put your self through his behaviour?
I don't know.
He has answered the question for you - you arent friends - move on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending