The Student Room Group

Boss not paying me properly

Hi
I work in a small tutoring company and my hours can vary quite a lot. My boss pays me at random times and groups together payments so its hard to keep track because she sometimes waits a few weeks before paying me.
A few times he has just completely not paid me and i've brought it up a few times, but its just awkward. I don't know if he is doing it on purpose or not, but I need to message him about it this time, so does anyone have any advice on how to phrase it without making it awkward?
Thanks in advance
Reply 1
It’s pretty common for small businesses to be chaotic in this regard and big variations in hours makes it harder, so it may not be malicious. This said an employer has an obligation to register for PAYE and to provide you a wage slip. And clearly it’s unacceptable not to pay you at all. Why not decide the arrangement you would like and discuss it with him. Or if this is difficult put what you would like clearly and politely in writing.
Reply 2
Original post by Zarek
It’s pretty common for small businesses to be chaotic in this regard and big variations in hours makes it harder, so it may not be malicious. This said an employer has an obligation to register for PAYE and to provide you a wage slip. And clearly it’s unacceptable not to pay you at all. Why not decide the arrangement you would like and discuss it with him. Or if this is difficult put what you would like clearly and politely in writing.

The problem is im leaving in a few weeks,but he has started to leave out payments more frequently and if he pays all at once, he will cut a few hours out. He also pays directly to my bank account, so I don't get wage slips. Do you have any advice on what to say without sounding aggressive or inconsiderate, because I know he is a busy person? I wanted to send a message instead of face to face
Reply 3
Dear x, I hope you are keeping well I am writing to confirm the tutoring hours which I have carried out since y. (list the tutoring sessions/ hours). Taking account of the payments already received, I calculate that I am due z hours payment, total £. Please let me know when my payment will be brought up to date. Thank you for your assistance. Kind regards

It’s not inconsiderate to ask to be paid. Probably good you’re moving on if its this unreliable
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
He also pays directly to my bank account, so I don't get wage slips.

You are legally entitled to a pay slip. See https://www.acas.org.uk/payslips

I get paid directly into my bank account too, but I still get a pay slip every month.
Reply 5
Original post by Zarek
Dear x, I hope you are keeping well I am writing to confirm the tutoring hours which I have carried out since y. (list the tutoring sessions/ hours). Taking account of the payments already received, I calculate that I am due z hours payment, total £. Please let me know when my payment will be brought up to date. Thank you for your assistance. Kind regards

It’s not inconsiderate to ask to be paid. Probably good you’re moving on if its this unreliable

Thank you :smile: Yes it was actually down to this and the fact that I am basically teaching instead of being the assistant . Im just really nervous about this stuff

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending