The Student Room Group

The Official Cambridge Applicants for 2024 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by closetarchivist
All of this has been incredibly helpful, so thank you very much. It's quite a relief to know that I'm not behind. I had it in my head that most other students would have their personal statements done by now and I would have to race to catch up.

RE point 3, on the essays: That's extremely reassuring to know! I think I will have a much easier time finding an essay that best showcases my ability and capacity to learn as opposed to one that is necessarily perfect. Especially considering my history teacher never gives full marks for introductions or conclusions on principle. Unfortunately, my best essay in literature was a take-home project and is far too long to send in. Would it be wiser to send in an extract from this essay, or to use one from class that may not be as good? I don't know if you'll be able to answer this, but I was considering applying for a joint degree with languages (History + French), however, in my curriculum, I've never had to write an essay in French. Would I be at an advantage to submit my 150-200 word response to a prompt that we write when we do assessments? My main concern is that other applicants would be at essay writing level, making me not competitive.

RE point 4, on the colleges: The blog @askacambridgestudent on Tumblr has a lot of information about a 'tier system' at Cambridge, which is where I have gathered this knowledge from. In a nutshell, they say that there are colleges more people apply to and that people get pooled from, colleges that people usually get pulled to, and then ones in the middle. As I don't actually go to Cambridge this could be a gross generalization or misunderstanding on my part. I, however, will definitely continue doing my own research!

Concerning point 3, I don’t want to give you the wrong advice, so you should definitely speak with your teacher about what work would be best to upload. On the Cambridge website you can access the written work cover sheet which might provide more detail. I would also really recommend you sign up for the applicant webinar series on the official university website (it usually starts in September or you can just rewatch last year’s recordings). They cover the application process in detail and have Q and As.

Without wanting to parrot what’s already been said about the college systems- just because a college accepts more from the pool doesn’t mean it’s “easier” to get into. Applicants who were strong but missed out because their chosen college was oversubscribed will be considered equally for other colleges alongside applicants who specifically applied there.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 21
Does anyone have any advice for preparing for the NSAA, specifically the maths section? Im really struggling to find resources and want to save the papers until September!
Thank you :smile:
Original post by lalexm
The University of Cambridge 2024 Entry Thread

Cambridge.jpg

Parents, your thread is here -> https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7212699

It never hurts to get ahead of the game when thinking about the future, and in particular - Cambridge Applications!
REMEMBER THOUGH: Cambridge isn't the be-all and end-all of things but being aspirational doesn't hurt!

Here are a few suggested opening questions, but ask whatever you want regarding Cambridge.

1) What A Levels are you taking from September (or other eligible qualifications)?
2) What course at Cambridge do you have your eyes on? And why?
3) What grades did you get/are you predicted to get at GCSE?
4) Why Cambridge specifically? and why not Oxford?
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit, and when will you start preparing for them?
6) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application to Cambridge?
7) What do you want to do with your degree from Cambridge?
8) Have you decided which college you're applying to?
Reply 22
Reminder that next week is Cambridge Summer Open Days 6th and 7th July Do go if you can as it is a great way to get a feel of whether Cambridge if for you and to have a look around some of your potential college choices.
Oxford have theirs tomorrow and Thursday.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 23
1) History, Politics, Physics
2) HSPS. A much better course than the History and Politics I originally applied to, not to mention a greater emphasis on the Political Sciences and theory which I am so much more interested in.
3) Six 9s, three 8s and one 7.
4) I love the heterogeneous architecture of Cambridge, especially considering it has different stones. That's all. Although I am still considering whether to apply to Oxford for it's PPE course.
5) As far as I know, there are no admissions tests for HSPS.
6) Read many books, subscribed to both reactionary and progressive blogs, started my own Medium for essay writing, talked at a school politics podcast, established Law & Politics Society when I was in school, competed with my team at an Oxford Schools Debating Finals, attended countless Model UN Politics debates, shadowed my local MP, and went to a heritage site work experience to explore social anthropology and social history.
7) Honestly want to go full in with academic research and write books on political theory and contemporary interpretations of past books.
8) Possibly St Johns or Girton. Hit or miss realistically, but since I'm on a gap year I should have the chance to visit Cambridge outside of the open days.
Reply 24
Original post by salamich
1) History, Politics, Physics
2) HSPS. A much better course than the History and Politics I originally applied to, not to mention a greater emphasis on the Political Sciences and theory which I am so much more interested in.
3) Six 9s, three 8s and one 7.
4) I love the heterogeneous architecture of Cambridge, especially considering it has different stones. That's all. Although I am still considering whether to apply to Oxford for it's PPE course.
5) As far as I know, there are no admissions tests for HSPS.
6) Read many books, subscribed to both reactionary and progressive blogs, started my own Medium for essay writing, talked at a school politics podcast, established Law & Politics Society when I was in school, competed with my team at an Oxford Schools Debating Finals, attended countless Model UN Politics debates, shadowed my local MP, and went to a heritage site work experience to explore social anthropology and social history.
7) Honestly want to go full in with academic research and write books on political theory and contemporary interpretations of past books.
8) Possibly St Johns or Girton. Hit or miss realistically, but since I'm on a gap year I should have the chance to visit Cambridge outside of the open days.

Nice. Lots of super curricular. Good luck.
hi there. I am going into Year 13 at a private boys' school in Greater London and aiming for general engineering (Queens or Emanuel College). I am taking Maths, Physics and Chemistry and am enrolled on an online summer school and have completed virtual work experience in engineering. I have dyspraxia and visual processing issues (similar to dyslexia) which allows me to use a laptop at school - I also have a pre-assessment report stating that I have inattentive ADHD and Aspergers (but this is not supported by the school as my grades are not bad enough). I have predicted grades of A (Maths), A*(Physics) A* (Chemistry) but am going to resit Maths after the summer holidays to improve my grade. I am also now preparing for the ENGAA . I have three questions: (1) do I have a chance of getting through to the interview stage if I only get A (Maths), A* (Physics and Chemistry)- I chose not to do Further Maths ; (2) when should I disclose the details of my learning issues (dyspraxia etc) ; and (3) will my learning issues count against me?
Reply 26
Original post by Anonymous
hi there. I am going into Year 13 at a private boys' school in Greater London and aiming for general engineering (Queens or Emanuel College). I am taking Maths, Physics and Chemistry and am enrolled on an online summer school and have completed virtual work experience in engineering. I have dyspraxia and visual processing issues (similar to dyslexia) which allows me to use a laptop at school - I also have a pre-assessment report stating that I have inattentive ADHD and Aspergers (but this is not supported by the school as my grades are not bad enough). I have predicted grades of A (Maths), A*(Physics) A* (Chemistry) but am going to resit Maths after the summer holidays to improve my grade. I am also now preparing for the ENGAA . I have three questions: (1) do I have a chance of getting through to the interview stage if I only get A (Maths), A* (Physics and Chemistry)- I chose not to do Further Maths ; (2) when should I disclose the details of my learning issues (dyspraxia etc) ; and (3) will my learning issues count against me?

1) Yes you will have a chance of getting through to interview stage with "just" A in Maths, plus A* in the others, but you need to look at the grade requirements for each college. I believe Emanuel is one of the few that specifies A* for maths, so you probably want to avoid that.

2) I believe the additional Cambridge questionnaire will ask about learning difficulties, so you can disclose them there, but @Pembroke Rep would be best placed to confirm.

3) No.
Reply 27
1. Biology, chemistry, physics, maths + EPQ
2. Natural sciences - want to be able to continue both chemistry + bio without sacrificing either one
3. 10 9's and 1 8
4. The course, if I went oxford chem I would have to give up doing a lot of bio. Also just the city itself, and I prefer the university and colleges
5. NSAA, gonna start preparing in summer
6. Building an engineering project ive been working on that has relations to biology/chemistry, doing a 4 week research project up at cambridge this summer, done a week of lab work at another university. Done other competitions like the chem and bio olympiad, and Cambridge chemistry challenge that just happened. Lots of extra reading
7. Either go into pharmacology, or go into lecturing
8 Trinity hall or trinity college
Reply 28
Original post by Ariichu
1. Biology, chemistry, physics, maths + EPQ
2. Natural sciences - want to be able to continue both chemistry + bio without sacrificing either one
3. 10 9's and 1 8
4. The course, if I went oxford chem I would have to give up doing a lot of bio. Also just the city itself, and I prefer the university and colleges
5. NSAA, gonna start preparing in summer
6. Building an engineering project ive been working on that has relations to biology/chemistry, doing a 4 week research project up at cambridge this summer, done a week of lab work at another university. Done other competitions like the chem and bio olympiad, and Cambridge chemistry challenge that just happened. Lots of extra reading
7. Either go into pharmacology, or go into lecturing
8 Trinity hall or trinity college

Impressive. Can't be easy finding the time to do 4-levels (not inc FM), +EPQ, +all those supercurriculars.
Original post by Vkk1
1) (Further) Maths, Economics, Physics
2) Economics - I've heard it's pretty much applied math, which is what I want (I like math more than economics).
3) (IGCSE) 7xA*s 1x9 1xA 1x6 (in art)
4) More math-based and better chance of getting in
5) TMUA, been slightly preparing here and there but will pick up prep in August
6) Research projects with gov agencies in Africa/India, Reading, Essay competitions (Need to start these but upcoming), work experience,
7) Career in Finance
8) Most likely Jesus College (uncle went there)

If you want to do economics which is maths-based Cambridge is an excellent idea - I went to some seminars online and a lecturer from Churchill (I think it was Churchill) was there and he was economics based - he said the maths is what they look for, so that's a good idea. Obviously it's not easy ever and the acceptance rate is low. The official undergraduate study describes that the majority of entrants had A*A*A* (87% of entrants), and 'These successful applicants typically took Economics (93%) or Further Mathematics (93%), with 86% taking both.'
Your GCSEs shouldn't matter too much, they say 'the typical successful UK applicant had
at least 6 A* grades at GCSE. Successful applicants have often shown academic excellence in a wide
range of GCSE subjects, including a grade of 9 for Mathematics.' so you likely meet that
and Jesus offers A*A*A typically. Many applicants don't make it past interview, as you probably know - it's also important to know the connections your schools have - as you've identified with your own links it's good to have connections to colleges - evidently there are more well respected colleges but really no college is 'better' for anything - you can, thus put in an open application rather than aiming for one college - the chances aren't significantly higher but it probably does mean if openings on a course come up there's more opportunity.
Your supercurriculars and extracurriculars are very good - they don't make a huge difference but what they want to really see is a strong engagement with your course - if you get involved with economics reading and go into your interview with a knowledge broader than your curriculum you will stand out as a desirable candidate to the interviewer - it's unfairly luck based, but I think you'll be good in passing the interview as long as you're confident, intelligent and well-read.
Good luck!
Original post by lalexm
1) Yes you will have a chance of getting through to interview stage with "just" A in Maths, plus A* in the others, but you need to look at the grade requirements for each college. I believe Emanuel is one of the few that specifies A* for maths, so you probably want to avoid that.

2) I believe the additional Cambridge questionnaire will ask about learning difficulties, so you can disclose them there, but @Pembroke Rep would be best placed to confirm.

3) No.

Hi, thanks for bringing this to my attention!

1) @lalexm is correct here - some Colleges specify an A* in Maths, so you should check the entry requirements document by College here: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/engineering_subject_requirements.pdf

2 and 3) When you complete your UCAS application you can declare a disability/SpLD/health condition on there. We recommend you do this to ensure we are aware throughout the application process and are able to make any necessary adjustments. Declaring a disability does not disadvantage your application in any way, but instead helps us to ensure you are able to perform at your best throughout the process. After you have submitted your application, if you have declared a disability, your College will likely be in touch with you to request details of any adjustments you have had at school, such as using a laptop or requiring extra time.
Hi, recently all my conditions disappeared from the tab View Offer Conditions/Comments in my Self Service, which, from what it says in the page, means that I fulfilled all my conditions. However, my status has not been updated to Confirmed. Does anyone know how long this might take?
Original post by lalexm

Cambridge.jpg

Parents, you are free to comment on this thread to provide words of encouragement to the applicants, but you also have your own thread for parental debates -> https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7212699

It never hurts to get ahead of the game when thinking about the future, and in particular - Cambridge Applications!
REMEMBER THOUGH: Cambridge isn't the be-all and end-all of things but being aspirational doesn't hurt!

Here are a few suggested opening questions, but ask whatever you want regarding Cambridge.

1) What A Levels are you taking from September (or other eligible qualifications)?
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit, and when will you start preparing for them?
6) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application to Cambridge?

1) History, Politics, Maths + EPQ (Law related) and predicted A*A*A + A* in EPQ
2) Law
3) 9999998776 (not the best ik)
4) I like how they structure their law course better e.g. more optional modules in second year. they also do exams at the end of each year whereas oxford only does exams first year and last year which is scary to me.
5) LNAT, gonna start preparing from the start of summer and hopefully take it relatively early in September so that I don't have to worry about it before winter mocks
6) EPQ, wider reading, work experience, MOOCs, attended a masterclass on law
7) Hoping to become a solicitor at a magic circle firm in London
8) I like the look of Homerton atm
Original post by lalexm

Cambridge.jpg

Parents, you are free to comment on this thread to provide words of encouragement to the applicants, but you also have your own thread for parental debates -> https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7212699

1) Just done my A-Level exams in History, English Lit, and Film. Predicted 3A*s. Got A* in film and English lit coursework but like a A/B in history coursework (exams are where I perform best). Doing a fast-track A-Level in Classical Civilisation during gap year which I’m also predicted an A* in.
2) English (reapplication as I had problems out of my control during first time but still got winter pooled)
3)9888876665. This was very high for my school!
4) Cambridge’s focus on Renaissance Poetry is stronger, and I prefer their tripos papers to the Oxford exams. Even though my school only ever gets people into Oxford I don’t really want to go there.
5) CELAT. Doing same prep as last year so just past papers.
6) I write a lot and have prizes for it. Also am lucky to own a large collection of old books.
7) Professor in Renaissance Poetics or modern poetics!
8) Undecided! Probably a smaller college or one close to the faculty - I don’t really mind because I care about the course way more than the college!
(edited 9 months ago)
Good luck everyone! As an applicant from last year I have some things to share that I wish I had read last year.
- most importantly, I hope your applications are successful but it’s very important to not put Cambridge on a pedestal, and that many top unis share lots of features with Oxbridge (eg, well-funded, being taught by world-leading experts). TSR is helpful but also a bit notorious for being obsessed with Oxbridge and honestly try to not be affected by that.

Regarding your applications..
- for humanities especially, just read as thoughtfully and as much as you can because reading as much as you can about your subject will only help. Eg, I knew loads of Oxbridge history applicants who all got interviews but the only one who got in was the one who had read like 30+ books. People say that ‘oh you’ll be fine if you only read 2 in-depth’ but at the end of the day, Oxbridge courses are incredibly oversubscribed with the vast majority having As/A*s so what you are actually interested in academically (and how genuine and deep that interest is) in combination with your critical thinking skills&admissions test (if applicable) is the differentiating factor
- the college you apply to DOES matter. Yes, there is the winter pool system to counter this but at the end of the day, it’s logical that you have a much better chance when the college you apply to only has 20 applicants for 5 places as opposed to 65 applicants for 5-6 places.

I don’t want this to scare anyone or anything, and I was actually rejected for HSPS post-interview so these observations may not be entirely helpful, but I just thought it was valuable to share this other perspective
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 35
Original post by sciencegcsesss
Good luck everyone! As an applicant from last year I have some things to share that I wish I had read last year.
- most importantly, I hope your applications are successful but it’s very important to not put Cambridge on a pedestal, and that many top unis share lots of features with Oxbridge (eg, well-funded, being taught by world-leading experts). TSR is helpful but also a bit notorious for being obsessed with Oxbridge and honestly try to not be affected by that.

- for humanities especially, just read as thoughtfully and as much as you can because reading as much as you can about your subject will only help. Eg, I knew loads of Oxbridge history applicants who all got interviews but the only one who got in was the one who had read like 30+ books. People say that ‘oh you’ll be fine if you only read 2 in-depth’ but at the end of the day, Oxbridge courses are incredibly oversubscribed with the vast majority having As/A*s so what you are actually interested in academically (and how genuine and deep that interest is) in combination with your critical thinking skills&admissions test (if applicable) is the differentiating factor
- the college you apply to DOES matter. Yes, there is the winter pool system to counter this but at the end of the day, it’s logical that you have a much better chance when the college you apply to only has 20 applicants for 5 places as opposed to 65 applicants for 5-6 places.

I don’t want this to scare anyone or anything, and I was actually rejected for HSPS post-interview so these observations may not be entirely helpful, but I just thought it was valuable to share this other perspective

I think the two books in depth thing is more for the personal statement.As in put down a couple of books you have something interesting to say something about.My son had read Biology related material from the age of about 6 onwards so obviously had a great depth of knowledge which developed over many years.No one would suggest people read 30 books over the summer holidays!But if you have a genuine interest in a subject the more you have read outside the curriculum the better obviously.There are some reasons to be careful of which college you choose.Do read into the small print.More of an issue at Cambridge than Oxford.
Original post by sciencegcsesss

I suppose this does make sense in that the applicant who’s done more reading probably has a wider range of perspectives on a topic and/or knowledge about a broader range of themes or eras (this is history specific), which may then help them in the interview.
Original post by Scotney
I think the two books in depth thing is more for the personal statement.As in put down a couple of books you have something interesting to say something about.My son had read Biology related material from the age of about 6 onwards so obviously had a great depth of knowledge which developed over many years.No one would suggest people read 30 books over the summer holidays!But if you have a genuine interest in a subject the more you have read outside the curriculum the better obviously.There are some reasons to be careful of which college you choose.Do read into the small print.More of an issue at Cambridge than Oxford.

May i ask why college choice is more of an issue at Cambridge?
Reply 38
Original post by closetarchivist
May i ask why college choice is more of an issue at Cambridge?

Certain colleges want different A levels or grades or have other different requirements.Trinity for example is very oversubscribed for Maths for example so there is less chance of being interviewed and therefore pooled me f you don't quite make the cut.
Oxford share out promising applications equally before interview.It also gives open offers to good applicants after interview.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Scotney
Certain colleges want different A levels or grades or have other different requirements.Trinity for example is very oversubscribed for Maths for example so there is less chance of being interviewed and therefore pooled me f you don't quite make the cut.
Oxford share out promising applications equally before interview.It also gives open offers to good applicants after interview.

I see. This would explain why some ask for at interview admissions tests and others don't and why the content of written work differs. If colleges have different requirements then how does the pooling system work fairly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending