The Student Room Group
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website

Counselling Psychology Doctorate North East

I live in Newcastle Upon Tyne (kids in school so no option to move) and I am wanting to complete a Counselling Psychology Doctorate, the closest seems to be York St John’s (I know there used to be the course at Teeside however that’s no longer happening) does anyone have experience of the course in York and could let me know the face to face hours required also locations of the placements?
Or does anyone have any experience of the commute?
Would really appreciate anyone’s thoughts/experiences/opinions of how doable this would be.
Thank you very much!!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
I'm in exactly the same boat, albeit for a different course! If my contact time for lectures is 2 days a week for an MSc I can reliably commute (happy to car share) otherwise it'd be a stretch to get the train 3 days a eek or more!
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website
Original post by EsKay11
I live in Newcastle Upon Tyne (kids in school so no option to move) and I am wanting to complete a Counselling Psychology Doctorate, the closest seems to be York St John’s (I know there used to be the course at Teeside however that’s no longer happening) does anyone have experience of the course in York and could let me know the face to face hours required also locations of the placements?
Would really appreciate anyone’s thoughts/experiences/opinions of how doable this would be.
Thank you very much!!

Hello I see this is an old post but I'm in the same boat. Applying for next year. Did you find out if it's doable?
Original post by EsKay11
Thank you very much!!

Hi there,

As mentioned on the website you will have 3 compulsory modules per semester with the course being built around your life commitments. As a undergraduate I have about 9 hours of contact hours a week and one my friends who is doing a masters course has 4 hours of contact a week so I would assume it would not be much more than this but these hours depend on the courses. These hours would be commutable both by car and by train as our campus is located about 15 minute walk from the train station.

I have linked the website here Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology | York St John University (yorksj.ac.uk)

I would suggest possibly contacting a psychology lecture who teaches the doctorate course as they maybe able to give you more detail on the hours of the course.

I hope this helps 😊
Katie - Student Ambassador
Reply 4
Hello

It's a professional doctorate, it will be more than 4 hours per week in university, plus placement hours.

Email them and ask them for a copy of the timetables.

Many part-time routes do 1 full day a week 9-5 for 4-5 years. The full-time courses are 3 years and usually 2 full days a week in the first/second year but often drop to 1 day a week towards the end of the course.

I live in the South West but have applied to Metonia in London who do 1 long weekend a month Firday-Sunday. Although not my first choice, there are pros and cons to doing it this way!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending