The Student Room Group

Failing 2nd year

Hi,

I’m studying engineering at a good Russell Group uni for second year and I may fail this year (so because I completed first year I have a CertHE). I’ve got two questions:
If I do fail second year what are the chances that I can get into a Russell group uni for second year engineering in the next academic year (2023-2024) in clearance or something?
What are the chances I could get into a Russell group uni for second year engineering study if I apply at the end of this calendar year, so starting in 2024-2025 academic year?
My A levels are A*A*A*
In my first year I did pretty badly, an average of 45% or something.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by DatCoolDude
Hi,

I’m studying engineering at a good Russell Group uni for second year and I may fail this year (so because I completed first year I have a CertHE). I’ve got two questions:
If I do fail second year what are the chances that I can get into a Russell group uni for second year engineering in the next academic year (2023-2024) in clearance or something?
What are the chances I could get into a Russell group uni for second year engineering study if I apply at the end of this calendar year, so starting in 2024-2025 academic year?
My A levels are A*A*A*
In my first year I did pretty badly, an average of 45% or something.

Why are you struggling? RG isn't relevant for Engineering so you might be better looking outside of that.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Why are you struggling? RG isn't relevant for Engineering so you might be better looking outside of that.

A combination of family issues and poor work ethic.

Wdym Russel group isn’t relevant to engineering? Like employers don’t really care for it?

I’d preferably like to graduate from as a uni as possible but saying that I guess I may be being naive
Reply 3
A combination of family issues and poor work ethic.

Wdym Russel group isn’t relevant to engineering? Like employers don’t really care for it?

I’d preferably like to graduate from as a uni as possible but saying that I guess I may be being naive

Employers prefer to see a year in industry - most don't care about RG. Bath is far better than many RG anyway ... You need to look into the transfer system - maybe wait until your results?
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Employers prefer to see a year in industry - most don't care about RG. Bath is far better than many RG anyway ... You need to look into the transfer system - maybe wait until your results?

yeah I may pass I’ll see.

Would you mind explaining a bit about the transfer system? I’ve no idea about it
Reply 5
Switching Unis whilst 'failing' at another will not impress any top Unis.
Your chances of a 2nd year place for Engineering at one of these is fairly close to zero.

You may need to look at a 2nd year retake at a Uni with less competitive course/lower grade requirements as a more realistic way forward.
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
Switching Unis whilst 'failing' at another will not impress any top Unis.
Your chances of a 2nd year place for Engineering at one of these is fairly close to zero.

You may need to look at a 2nd year retake at a Uni with less competitive course/lower grade requirements as a more realistic way forward.

As a ballpark figure would looking at a unis that take AABs or ABBs be realistic? Even AAA at a stretch?
Reply 7
BBB and below - you are applying late and you have a potentially failed 2nd year so even this may be a struggle.
Reply 8
BBB and below - you are applying late and you have a potentially failed 2nd year so even this may be a struggle.

If I was to wait a year would I be able to do a little better?
Reply 9
What do you mean - fail your current year and take a year out, or try and switch in your third year?
Reply 10
What do you mean - fail your current year and take a year out, or try and switch in your third year?

If I fail take a year out and apply for 2nd year 2024-2025
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 11
If I fail take a year out and apply for 2nd year 2024-2025

It wont make any difference - you will still have failed your 2nd year at another University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending