The Student Room Group

Lancaster University exam grades

Help. I’m in my second year of uni, in Lancaster University. I’m wondering, do I need 40/100 in the exam to pass or 40 overall for the whole module? So, let’s say, can I get 30% in the exam and still pass without resitting?
Original post by NikDm
Help. I’m in my second year of uni, in Lancaster University. I’m wondering, do I need 40/100 in the exam to pass or 40 overall for the whole module? So, let’s say, can I get 30% in the exam and still pass without resitting?

What degree are you taking? There are some where you need to pass each assessment ("essays, examinations, oral presentations, practical assessments, performance, portfolios of work, poster presentations, etc."), not just the module as a whole. For example, Appendix 5 of their Undergraduate Assessment Regulations (here) says:

"13.2 In order to progress from Year 2 to Year 3 on the BA (Hons) Architecture, students must pass all modules and subcomponents of assessment at a minimum pass mark of 9.0. Condonation of modules is not available for this programme." (my emphasis)

UG 4.1.1 in the same document suggests that even if professional awards are not relevant (which is what Appendix 5 is all about), the rules can vary between different programmes anyway.

"Each programme will have progression requirements detailed and approved through the programmes approval process."

GR 2.2.1 of General Regulations for Assessment & Award (here) points out that how assessments are combined and weighted to create a module-level grade can vary by module too:

"Each approved module contributing to any degree programme(s) of the University will incorporate a scheme of assessment which:
(e) defines the way in which the results of individual papers or units of assessment are to be aggregated, averaged or profiled in order to produce an overall module grade to be used in determining the overall classification of the degree programme(s) to which the module contributes;"

So it seems that you question can be answered by knowing which specific module you're referring to.
Reply 2
Yes, I forgot to mention it. I’m an accounting and finance student.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by NikDm
Yes, I forgot to mention it. I’m an accounting and finance student.

Thanks. To which specific module does your question relate?

(I mentioned above that your question can only be answered by knowing which specific module you're referring to as their regulations say, "the way in which the results of individual papers or units of assessment are to be aggregated, averaged or profiled in order to produce an overall module grade" is module-specific.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending