The Student Room Group

Feeling Unsure about My Future Post A Level Results Day

I really don’t know what to do with my life since A Level results day this year. I was predicted A*AA, even got to the interview stage at Cambridge, got offers from Warwick and KCL.
Warwick was my firm and I’d chosen KCL as my insurance as I was given a contextual offer. I thought at the very least I’d get into KCL and always assumed I’d be going to university this September. Well, on results day, I was rejected by both Warwick and KCL and was not expecting this at all. I received quite shocking grades (BBC) and even most clearing universities rejected me when I called them up.
I was thinking of retaking all three of my A Levels (English Lit, Language and Psychology) and then reapplying to university again as I still really think it’s necessary to go to a Russel Group university. However, there is no obvious guarantee that I would be able to receive AAA as a minimum as I’d like to ideally achieve that, if I am retaking.
I have looked into many different degree apprenticeships but they just do not interest me in the slightest, and I was still really set on studying English Literature at university. I don’t know if I should just suck it up and go to any university this year that will take me and get on with my life or wait.
Anyone else feeling similarly or has any (realistic) advice at all? It would be much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by …anon
I really don’t know what to do with my life since A Level results day this year. I was predicted A*AA, even got to the interview stage at Cambridge, got offers from Warwick and KCL.
Warwick was my firm and I’d chosen KCL as my insurance as I was given a contextual offer. I thought at the very least I’d get into KCL and always assumed I’d be going to university this September. Well, on results day, I was rejected by both Warwick and KCL and was not expecting this at all. I received quite shocking grades (BBC) and even most clearing universities rejected me when I called them up.
I was thinking of retaking all three of my A Levels (English Lit, Language and Psychology) and then reapplying to university again as I still really think it’s necessary to go to a Russel Group university. However, there is no obvious guarantee that I would be able to receive AAA as a minimum as I’d like to ideally achieve that, if I am retaking.
I have looked into many different degree apprenticeships but they just do not interest me in the slightest, and I was still really set on studying English Literature at university. I don’t know if I should just suck it up and go to any university this year that will take me and get on with my life or wait.
Anyone else feeling similarly or has any (realistic) advice at all? It would be much appreciated.

Why russel group? Just look for any english literature course, look at their modules, see if you like it, if you do ring them.
What was special about warwick and KCL english literature course?
https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/results/courses?searchTerm=English%20literature&studyYear=2023&destination=Undergraduate&vacancy=eng&postcodeDistanceSystem=imperial&pageNumber=1&sort=MostRelevant&clearingPreference=CoursesInClearing

Display by list instead of grid is easier
You have 112 UCAS points
You can filter entry requirements in terms of UCAS points from 0 to 112
(edited 8 months ago)
(Original post by BankaiGintoki)Why russel group? Just look for any english literature course, look at their modules, see if you like it, if you do ring them.

https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/results/courses?searchTerm=English%20literature&studyYear=2023&destination=Undergraduate&vacancy=eng&postcodeDistanceSystem=imperial&pageNumber=1&sort=MostRelevant&clearingPreference=CoursesInClearing
Hey just so you know I was in the same boat grades wise but found a great uni that usually only accepts AAB (like you I was predicted A*A*A and then got bbc and an A* EPQ) and if you apply for uni this year thru clearing things could go better than you think
Original post by …anon
Original post by …anon

Sorry I didn’t send this all in one message I’ve been all over the place since results day

i was supposed to take pol until my unis didn’t want me but I’ve now decided to take lit at Lancaster and they are a top ten uni (tho not technically Russel group) in the uk and I think their course may still have spaces
Reply 4
Any reason behind the fall in grades from your expected level?
IMG_5254.jpeg
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
Any reason behind the fall in grades from your expected level

I think I lacked some discipline during the school year to be completely honest in regards to Psychology, but for English Literature, I’d been receiving As and A*s for all my essays and NEAs, as well as getting almost an A* for my Language NEAs. So I did try incredibly hard as well having some mental health issues that I did not seek help with until the summer holidays.
Reply 7
Original post by Idonotlikeexams
Sorry I didn’t send this all in one message I’ve been all over the place since results day

i was supposed to take pol until my unis didn’t want me but I’ve now decided to take lit at Lancaster and they are a top ten uni (tho not technically Russel group) in the uk and I think their course may still have spaces

I have looked at Lancaster as an option but haven’t fully considered it as I’m still unsure of going to university this year. A lot of people have told me that going to a university through clearing may be the best thing to work out but I’m just scared that I’d still be upset there or feel stupid tbh
Reply 8
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Why russel group? Just look for any english literature course, look at their modules, see if you like it, if you do ring them.

Display by list instead of grid is easier
You have 112 UCAS points
You can filter entry requirements in terms of UCAS points from 0 to 112

Going to a Russell Group would have just opened more opportunities to me, I’m assuming here and I feel a bit like a disappointment as my family all have attended Russel Group universities and so high expectations are also present. I’m just scared of applying to jobs after I graduate and they look down upon me for not attending an ‘elite’ university.
The Warwick course also combined philosophy with English which I was genuinely excited for since applying last September.
Reply 9
I am also still considering retaking all 3 of my A Levels again and was wondering if this would just be a waste of time, and whether universities such as Warwick and KCL would be less inclined to give me an offer due to this.
Reply 10
Original post by …anon
I am also still considering retaking all 3 of my A Levels again and was wondering if this would just be a waste of time, and whether universities such as Warwick and KCL would be less inclined to give me an offer due to this.

You can ring them up and ask them whether they would consider taking you with resits.At least you would then know one way or another I assume you felt remarks were not going to help at all?@Ghostlady have you any info on Eng Lit Lancaster?
Reply 11
Original post by Scotney
You can ring them up and ask them whether they would consider taking you with resits.At least you would then know one way or another I assume you felt remarks were not going to help at all?@Ghostlady have you any info on Eng Lit Lancaster?

Thank you, I will call them tomorrow morning then about the resits. I did actually get all my A Level papers remarked and not even one of them got changed. I was 2 marks off an A grade for English Language and yet my remark remained the same.
Original post by …anon

Hi, I’m in a very similar position to you besides the A* predicted grades :’) regardless of the grades you received be proud of yourself!! I’m also considering resitting my A levels this year. It costs £110 per A Level I think? Which isn’t too bad. I’m going to resit whilst at my first year of uni and then I’m going to reapply next year to go to a Russell Group
Reply 13
Original post by …anon
Thank you, I will call them tomorrow morning then about the resits. I did actually get all my A Level papers remarked and not even one of them got changed. I was 2 marks off an A grade for English Language and yet my remark remained the same.

My options for Clearing universities are: Lancaster, Bath Spa, Kent, Surrey, Lincoln or Royal Holloway. Royal Holloway did give me an offer but it’s too far to travel than expected but I did like the course.
Reply 14
Original post by Shaylahnaomi
Hi, I’m in a very similar position to you besides the A* predicted grades :’) regardless of the grades you received be proud of yourself!! I’m also considering resitting my A levels this year. It costs £110 per A Level I think? Which isn’t too bad. I’m going to resit whilst at my first year of uni and then I’m going to reapply next year to go to a Russell Group

Yeah, the price isn’t too bad so thankfully I have a job but I was gonna get a tutor for my subjects too. And that’s very impressive that you’re going to resit whilst at university! Can I ask why you wouldn’t just resit them whilst on a gap year as wouldn’t you have to pay for the first year of university that you’re going to go to now? But good luck for your studies!
Reply 15
Original post by …anon
My options for Clearing universities are: Lancaster, Bath Spa, Kent, Surrey, Lincoln or Royal Holloway. Royal Holloway did give me an offer but it’s too far to travel than expected but I did like the course.

.Lancaster is very good but are they not demanding higher grades.
Reply 16
Original post by Scotney
.Lancaster is very good but are they not demanding higher grades.

I just double checked and they require BBC for Clearing, which I have so I would hope it would be okay.
Reply 17
Original post by …anon
I just double checked and they require BBC for Clearing, which I have so I would hope it would be okay.

I would definitely have a proper look at the modules.It has a very good reputation and is a nice safe campus.I get the hesitation about clearing as it is strange to suddenly think of going somewhere totally unknown but I hear good things about Lancaster for a variety of subjects which is important.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Scotney
I would definitely have a proper look at the modules.It has a very good reputation and is a nice safe campus.I get the hesitation about clearing as it is strange to suddenly think of going somewhere totally unknown but I hear good things about Lancaster for a variety of subjects which is important.

Thank you, I have looked through the course and modules and they do seem like something I would be interested in. They are also ranked 7th in the UK for English according to their website, which is reassuring. I may be visiting Lancaster soon as a result just to see if I’d be happy to live there.
Original post by Shaylahnaomi

How are you going to sit A levels when they might clash with uni assessments?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending