The Student Room Group

How important is personal statement compared to predicted grades?

I'm applying to lancaster for computer science. The typical offer for me is ABB. I'm receiving predictions of A*AA. At this point how much does my personal statement matter. Even if it was an average personal statement, what's the likelihood I would still get an offer?
Reply 1
Original post by JamieInit
I'm applying to lancaster for computer science. The typical offer for me is ABB. I'm receiving predictions of A*AA. At this point how much does my personal statement matter. Even if it was an average personal statement, what's the likelihood I would still get an offer?

For most courses at most unis, if you meet or exceed their entry requirements then it is likely that you will get an offer.

You'll probably be okay if you exceed them by that much with an average personal statement. For universities with requirements like AAA or higher, most/all applicants will reach those grades, and thus personal statements and admissions tests are needed to differentiate between different applicants and choose who to give offers to. For a university with requirements like ABB, you are probably above the typical applicant in terms of grades, so are already standing out to them.

Hello @JamieInit,

This is a great question, however unfortunately it is one without a very straightforward answer.

Typically we advise students to focus on crafting a strong personal statement regardless of grades, but each institution will value the personal statement differently. With that in mind, to get the best answer to your question, we would recommend that you reach out to Lancaster's admissions team directly.

Sorry this didn't quite answer your question, but hopefully it helps! Best of luck with your application!

Thanks,

Becky

Hi there,

Great job on your predicted grades! Wishing you the best of luck in achieving them.

In terms of personal statement I would still put a good amount of time and thought into it. Your excellent grades do give your application a boost, however a personal statement is an opportunity to show what you personally have to offer as your grades only show so much. Talk about what relevant experience you might have or show your passion for the subject - having a strong statement will always be a boost.

Good luck,
Sophie
Original post by LIBF
Hello @JamieInit,

This is a great question, however unfortunately it is one without a very straightforward answer.

Typically we advise students to focus on crafting a strong personal statement regardless of grades, but each institution will value the personal statement differently. With that in mind, to get the best answer to your question, we would recommend that you reach out to Lancaster's admissions team directly.

Sorry this didn't quite answer your question, but hopefully it helps! Best of luck with your application!

Thanks,

Becky

Original post by University of Bath
Hi there,

Great job on your predicted grades! Wishing you the best of luck in achieving them.

In terms of personal statement I would still put a good amount of time and thought into it. Your excellent grades do give your application a boost, however a personal statement is an opportunity to show what you personally have to offer as your grades only show so much. Talk about what relevant experience you might have or show your passion for the subject - having a strong statement will always be a boost.

Good luck,
Sophie

I’m guessing but it seems likely that OP submitted their application before the equal consideration deadline (which was the day after they posted) so your responses are too late to be helpful

They were looking for reassurance that their submitted PS would be ok not encouragement to improve a PS they had already submitted
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
I’m guessing but it seems likely that OP submitted their application before the equal consideration deadline (which was the day after they posted) so your responses are too late to be helpful

They were looking for reassurance that their submitted PS would be ok not encouragement to improve a PS they had already submitted

It’s all good. Managed to get the Lancaster offer with a VERY average personal statement. The predicted grades carried I’m sure.

Hi there,

I would say that a lot of universities look at grades first and foremost before looking at personal statements. If your predictions are higher than requested grades then an average personal statement should not do you any harm. Personally, I have always seen personal statements as more of a safety net if your predictions aren't quite there or your exam results aren't as anticipated. When I applied to Lancaster for maths, my personal statement was not strong and I still received an offer.

Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) 🙂
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi there,

I would say that a lot of universities look at grades first and foremost before looking at personal statements. If your predictions are higher than requested grades then an average personal statement should not do you any harm. Personally, I have always seen personal statements as more of a safety net if your predictions aren't quite there or your exam results aren't as anticipated. When I applied to Lancaster for maths, my personal statement was not strong and I still received an offer.

Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) 🙂

Did you read the post from the OP immediately before yours?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending