The Student Room Group

choosing gsces

i'm in year 9 and will choose gsces soon so i was hoping for some advice for my options. in my school we have to do :
english lang
english lit
maths
physics
chemistry
biology
frenc hor spanish
and any 3 other subjects

im going to do spanish and computer science but i was unsure for the other 2 its between latin, history, music and geography i think. (i want to work in finance when im am older but i dont think that matters too much for my gsces). could any one who has done these gsces give me any advice on how hard/easy/boring/interesting etc. these subjects are and whether they have any other subjects i could do (much more of a logical/science-y person than creative though)
it sounds like we have the same school but to be fair that is very unlikely
I'm in the same boat as you (also going into y9 and will be choosing gcses soon and my choices are currently the same as yours except for latin (i chose classics instead))
Reply 2
i chose latin not classics - it kinda does sound like we go to the same or similar schools but my names on my username so you can probably tell if i go to your school or not lol. are you doing spanish or french?
Reply 3
i haven't done any of the others but geography is not too bad, it can be a bit dull at times but all in all it's not a hard gcse to get a good grade in, there's not too much content though learning case study facts is tedious sometimes, other than that it's fine.
as for history, haven't taken it but have heard from my other friends that it's pretty difficult eg. I know people who were getting 7s 8s and 9s in all their other subjects but 2s and 5s for mocks so it can be hard but if you have a very good memory you'll be suited to it, it tends to be considered more interesting than geog (from people who've taken both) but obviously it depends on what you like, if you like hard facts than geog is better. sorry not sure about the other two options
Reply 4
thanks! thats really helpful - from what you are saying i think history is more for me (i have a good-ish memory and i dont really like case studies) but i'll see if anyone has anything else to say about it
Original post by whoskaavya
i chose latin not classics - it kinda does sound like we go to the same or similar schools but my names on my username so you can probably tell if i go to your school or not lol. are you doing spanish or french?

i know a kaavya at my school in 9N (idk if i should say this but if its you then hello)
I'm doing Spanish since I'm better at it in general
Original post by oceanb1ue
i haven't done any of the others but geography is not too bad, it can be a bit dull at times but all in all it's not a hard gcse to get a good grade in, there's not too much content though learning case study facts is tedious sometimes, other than that it's fine.
as for history, haven't taken it but have heard from my other friends that it's pretty difficult eg. I know people who were getting 7s 8s and 9s in all their other subjects but 2s and 5s for mocks so it can be hard but if you have a very good memory you'll be suited to it, it tends to be considered more interesting than geog (from people who've taken both) but obviously it depends on what you like, if you like hard facts than geog is better. sorry not sure about the other two options

geo was going to be one of my choices (because i love learning about the world in general) however after finding out its not an essay subject (i want to take at least 2 because i like them (im sorry)), and i got one of my least fav teachers to teach it.. do you learn a lot of social/economical/political things? that's what i want to do
Reply 7
Original post by FlyingSquirrel10
geo was going to be one of my choices (because i love learning about the world in general) however after finding out its not an essay subject (i want to take at least 2 because i like them (im sorry)), and i got one of my least fav teachers to teach it.. do you learn a lot of social/economical/political things? that's what i want to do

to be fair while it's not an outright essay subject you do have long-answer questions, like 6/8/9/12 marks and similar. not sure about what exam board you're doing (mine was ocr b) but for us half the course was human geography so the more social/economic/political side like supply and demand, responses to an ageing population, urbanisation, development etc. but make sure you're also happy to do the physical geog too, i didn't like physical and it was hard to make myself revise that part of the course so make sure both are ok with you. but if you prefer learning about social economic things etc. then maybe history would suit you better
Original post by oceanb1ue
to be fair while it's not an outright essay subject you do have long-answer questions, like 6/8/9/12 marks and similar. not sure about what exam board you're doing (mine was ocr b) but for us half the course was human geography so the more social/economic/political side like supply and demand, responses to an ageing population, urbanisation, development etc. but make sure you're also happy to do the physical geog too, i didn't like physical and it was hard to make myself revise that part of the course so make sure both are ok with you. but if you prefer learning about social economic things etc. then maybe history would suit you better

Im doing the AQA - there's a paper on challenges in the human environment (right up my alley) but there's also one about the physical environment and i don't love learning about that stuff
i was thinking history would only have these types of things for the past however? (i want to learn more about real life issues in modern times and in the future)
Reply 9
Original post by FlyingSquirrel10
Im doing the AQA - there's a paper on challenges in the human environment (right up my alley) but there's also one about the physical environment and i don't love learning about that stuff
i was thinking history would only have these types of things for the past however? (i want to learn more about real life issues in modern times and in the future)

ohh okay if you want to learn about modern issues rather than just any economic and poltiical issues then yes geography would be more suitable, i suppose it all boils down to whether you'd be willing to revise for the physical environment topics, relatively speaking there's not a massive amount of content in geography but i will say it's an absolute pain if you don't like it at all

Quick Reply

Latest