The Student Room Group

Dropping an A Level

I am currently in Year 12, and studying 5 A Levels, 4 in school and 1 privately. Unsurprisingly the workload is massive and I would like to drop one but I don’t know which to drop. In school I study English lit, maths, further maths and RS/philosophy and ethics, and privately I study Latin. Next year I will apply for a Classics degree and I am aiming for Oxford. I want to either drop English or FM and currently I prefer maths. My Latin tutor, who studied Classics at Oxford, thinks that classicists have more in common with mathematicians than English students, but a friend of a friend is studying Classics at Cambridge currently and thinks English is more valuable. Should I continue with English as it is more obviously related to my degree, or do the subject I enjoy more and will find it easier to revise for come exam time? If it makes a difference, at GCSE I got a 9 in English lang and an 8 in English lit(although I was predicted a 9 and ended up messing up the paper on the day), and a 9 in maths and an 8 in Level 2 further maths.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by medea09
I am currently in Year 12, and studying 5 A Levels, 4 in school and 1 privately. Unsurprisingly the workload is massive and I would like to drop one but I don’t know which to drop. In school I study English lit, maths, further maths and RS/philosophy and ethics, and privately I study Latin. Next year I will apply for a Classics degree and I am aiming for Oxford. I want to either drop English or FM and currently I prefer maths. My Latin tutor, who studied Classics at Oxford, thinks that classicists have more in common with mathematicians than English students, but a friend of a friend is studying Classics at Cambridge currently and thinks English is more valuable. Should I continue with English as it is more obviously related to my degree, or do the subject I enjoy more and will find it easier to revise for come exam time? If it makes a difference, at GCSE I got a 9 in English lang and an 8 in English lit(although I was predicted a 9 and ended up messing up the paper on the day), and a 9 in maths and an 8 in Level 2 further maths.

I would say to drop further maths. Generally you don't really need it unless you're applying to do any stem subjects, and for Classics especially i'd say English is much more applicable simply because there is a lot of researching in English A Level into historical facts and sometimes some classics features in some English texts.

Quick Reply

Latest