The Student Room Group

Is D*D*M the same as DDD?

I study applied science and my end of year grade for year 12 was a merit and my predicted grades for year 13 are D*D*. Will my overall grade be DDD or D*D*M? The uni I want to go to has asked for DDD but I’m not sure how it fully works.
Original post by emmalouise58
I study applied science and my end of year grade for year 12 was a merit and my predicted grades for year 13 are D*D*. Will my overall grade be DDD or D*D*M? The uni I want to go to has asked for DDD but I’m not sure how it fully works.

Unfortunately, calculating BTEC overall grades is very, very complicated.

If you have access to Microsoft Excel, then your best bet is to download the "BTEC Nationals - Grade Calculator" from this page on the Pearson/BTEC web site. Select the Extended Diploma sheet (which I assume is what you're studying, given the type of grades you've mentioned), select Applied Science from the Select Sector drop-down and they enter all the information you have - actual unit grades if you have them, predicted unit grades if you don't. For external units (i.e. with exams), it'll ask you for the number of points you achieved. If you know that, great. If you know you exam mark (and when you took the exam - which is important here), then I can convert those to points for you. (Or I can explain how to do it if you'd rather.) If you don't know your mark either, then look at the small "Grade boundaries for External Units" table on that sheet and pick a number of points which is roughly at the mid-point for the unit grade you got. Note that these are different depending on the size (in GLH) of the unit.

If you need help doing any of this, then just shout; I'm very well practiced at it. Note that the information you've provided ("my end of year grade for year 12 was a merit and my predicted grades for year 13 are D*D*") doesn't come anywhere close to the level of detail you need to use the calculator - or to work it out by hand if that's what you wanted to do. At a minimum you need a unit grade for each and every unit - even those you've not yet done.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending