The Student Room Group

BTEC Business Extended Diploma Grade Calculator

I was wondering if anyone could help me calculate my grades for Btec Business Level 3 Extended Diploma.I am aiming for DDD.
These are my grades so far:
Unit 1 Exploring Business- M
Unit 2 Developing a marketing campaign- P
Unit 3 Personal and business finance - N|P
Unit 8 Recruitment and Selection - P
Unit 14 Investigating Customer Service - M
Unit 16 Visual Merchandising- D
Unit 24 Employment Law- D
Unit 4 Managing an Event- D
Unit 19 Pitching an event- Predicting: D
Unit 7 Business decision making Predicting: M
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by ttshaye
I was wondering if anyone could help me calculate my grades for Btec Business Level 3 Extended Diploma.I am aiming for DDD.

What does N|P mean for Unit 3? Was it a Pass or Near Pass?

I haven't checked, but I'm fairly sure that the BTEC Nationals Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business contains 13 units. So do you have a prediction for your remaining units? Or are you try to establish what you need to get in them for DDD overall?
Original post by DataVenia
What does N|P mean for Unit 3? Was it a Pass or Near Pass?

I haven't checked, but I'm fairly sure that the BTEC Nationals Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business contains 13 units. So do you have a prediction for your remaining units? Or are you try to establish what you need to get in them for DDD overall?

Unit 5 and 6 (Exam) are missing which are Mandatory plus one other Optional unit
Reply 3
Unit 5- D Predicted
Unit 6- D Predicted
Unit 9-D Predicted
For unit 3 I got a near pass
I want to know What would I get overall with all of my grades?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by ttshaye
Unit 5- D Predicted
Unit 6- M Predicted
Unit 9-D Predicted
For unit 3 I got a near pass
I want to know What would I get overall with all of my grades?

If your predictions are accurate, you have a minimum of DDM overall and a maximum of DDD overall.

I realise that's a tad vague, but it's because of the way external units are handled in BTECs. Every grade gives you a certain number of points (depending on the grade and the size of the unit, in guided learning hours - GLH). However, for external units (the ones with exams) they adjust the points based upon your mark (not just your grade). For example, a 120 GLH external unit (like Unit 6 or Unit 7) earns you 20 points for a Merit and 32 points for a Distinction. However, if your mark was half-way between the M and D grade boundaries, you get 26 points (i.e. have way between the M points and the D points). So unless you happen to know you mark per exam, all I can give you are minimums and maximums.

You can see these minimum and maximum overall grades below (note that the Unit Grade for each unit is identical in both calculations - it's the Unit Points for the external units which are different):

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Business - ttshaye - DDM.JPG

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Business - ttshaye - DDD.JPG

(Do feel free to check I've entered your unit grade correctly!)

You will note that you overall points range from 200 to 230. For a DDD you need 216. So it's 50/50 whether you get DDM or DDD. :s-smilie:
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ttshaye

its DMM why NP and P gives you less points so they weigh less when marking.
Reply 6
I’m thinking to retake unit 3 anyways to get my near pass up but essentially my other Distinctions make up for it. But thank you very much!
Original post by ttshaye
I’m thinking to retake unit 3 anyways to get my near pass up but essentially my other Distinctions make up for it. But thank you very much!

Feel free to retake Unit 3, but note that it may make very little difference given that for examined units they award you unit points based upon your mark and not your grade. So if your mark goes up just enough to tip your from just below the Pass boundary (a Near Pass) to the Pass boundary (a Pass) it would earn you just 1 extra unit point. As you're chasing a 216-point target for a DDD, than won't have an awful lot of impact.

On the other hand, you could retake Unit 6 or Unit 7 and gain up to 11 extra points whilst still remaining on a Merit for the unit. So don't get hung-up on the unit grade. Retake any units where you think you can improve your mark significantly.
Reply 8
Thanks for the advice, for unit 7 I get my results in march & it’s very possible I could maybe get a distinction in that so hopefully I will. Also for unit 6 haven’t done the exam yet but so far the unit is going well so I’m definitely aiming for a distinction!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending