The Student Room Group

How much of the world have you seen?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've been to many countries so far -- but what does this really mean?
Whenever I see people "declare" the number of countries they've been to (usually on Instagram), I wonder whether they've REALLY seen/experienced those countries.. for example, if you've been to Beijing (but nowhere else in China), that doesn't mean you've seen/experienced China.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Manny2023
Whenever I see people "declare" the number of countries they've been to (usually on Instagram), I wonder whether they've REALLY seen/experienced those countries.. for example, if you've been to Beijing (but nowhere else in China), that doesn't mean you've seen/experienced China.

But you have still seen a lifestyle and culture that's different to your own.
Reply 22
Original post by black tea
But you have still seen a lifestyle and culture that's different to your own.

Yes, true in the case of Beijing.. but would I have REALLY seen/experienced “China”, which is a huge and diverse country? Worse is when some people go to a holiday destination that’s full of Western tourists and fellow British people and think they’ve actually seen/experienced another country’s lifestyle and culture.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 23
Okay okay I’ll play along.

I’ve been to all the continents except Antarctica.
Yes, true in the case of Beijing.. but would I have REALLY seen/experienced “China”, which is a huge and diverse country? Worse is when some people go to a holiday destination that’s full of Western tourists and fellow British people and think they’ve actually seen/experienced another country’s lifestyle and culture.

There's a lot of truth in that. For example, I've been to China twice, for about a month each trip - the first to Shanghai, Beijing and X'ian, the second to Guilin, Chengdu, Lijiang and Kunming.

However, the most informative part of either was an overnight train trip between the latter two destinations. I was put in a 4-berth compartment with 3 Chinese engineers who all spoke English to varying degrees. I learned more about what it was like to be Chinese (especially male, young, educated) than in the rest of my time there put together.
Okay okay I’ll play along.

I’ve been to all the continents except Antarctica.

Also all the countries on the continents? If so, your next goal for the holidays has to be to visit the penguins. :biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by Kallisto
Also all the countries on the continents? If so, your next goal for the holidays has to be to visit the penguins. :biggrin:

Haha if you read my comments before that one, you would notice my sarcasm in that one..
I've been to all those continents, but not to all the countries within all those continents.
There's so much more to see/experience in this world.. and it's NOT about the number of countries or number of continents.
Original post by Avreil
2 countries

Netherlands

Did you mena that comment, @Manny2023? I understand your point. Being in a country for years and living there is a huge difference to spend some weeks there as a tourist. No one learns a country's lifestyle and culture by being there in holidays. All the more if they are just going to tourist spots. That is a narrow-minded view, I am right here with you.
Reply 29
Original post by Kallisto
Did you mean that comment, @Manny2023? I understand your point. Being in a country for years and living there is a huge difference to spend some weeks there as a tourist. No one learns a country's lifestyle and culture by being there in holidays. All the more if they are just going to tourist spots. That is a narrow-minded view, I am right here with you.

Cool. :smile:
Oh BTW I meant the earlier comment where I said:
"I've been to many countries so far -- but what does this really mean? Whenever I see people declare the number of countries they've been to (usually on Instagram), I wonder whether they've REALLY seen/experienced those countries.."

Then after that, I said "I’ve been to all the continents except Antarctica" -- because I was trying to be sarcastic (but making fun of myself). Yes I've been to all the continents except Antarctica, but that does not mean I have seen/experienced every community in the continents that I've set foot on.
(edited 10 months ago)

I hate people like that who try to show off that they have been to x amount of countries. It's actually really quite pathetic and sad to see people boasting about. Such shallow minds
I've been to
Singapore twice
Taiwan twice (Taipei and Taichung)
Hong Kong (since born)
UK
Reply 32
I'm quite fortunate in the last 3 months my job has taken me to:
USA (Georgia, California, Texas, Illinois, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Utah, Louisiana)
Israel
Jordan
Jersey
Scotland
Italy
Switzerland
Sweden
Algeria
Spain
Greece
Hungary
Portugal
India
Original post by Laam's corner
I've been to
Singapore twice
Taiwan twice (Taipei and Taichung)
Hong Kong (since born)
UK

I've been planning to go to Singapore, what are the top tourist destination that you could recommend?
Original post by Avreil
2 countries

1 country although I’m going on holiday in December to Czech Republic
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Mohammed_80
1 country although I’m going on holiday in December to Czech Republic

Let me guess! you are going to Prague. I am a psychic and can see the future.
I had the chance to explore cities in Thailand, Japan, and Nepal, though not the entire country.
Original post by ageshallnot
I'm on 37 and planning south America this winter.

Just re-found this thread. South America didn't work out so we're in southeast Asia instead. Adding Laos and Cambodia to the list, so 39.
I've been into Southeast Asia, Singapore, Japan and South Korea.
Original post by helloimdavid
I've been into Southeast Asia, Singapore, Japan and South Korea.

Have you been in Thailand too? trips to Asia seem to be your favorite destinations.

Quick Reply

Latest