The Student Room Group

Single-sex accomodation availability

I personally would prefer a single-sex flat, however, I'm worried that if I put that down as a preference, it might decrease the likelihood I'll get the hall I'd prefer. The main reason I'm concerned is I heard that there's less single sex flats available. Like it's not a big deal for me, I just think I'd be more comfortable with other girls, but I definitely see the appeal of mixed as well.
Does anyone know how single-sex versus mixed preferences might affect which hall you get?
For reference, this is at the University of Leeds and I put Montague Burton as my first preference. I did already submit my accomodation application and ended up saying don't mind for flatmate gender, but I'm considering emailing them and asking to change to single-sex flat preference.
Any thoughts?
Original post by Esmayhem
I personally would prefer a single-sex flat, however, I'm worried that if I put that down as a preference, it might decrease the likelihood I'll get the hall I'd prefer. The main reason I'm concerned is I heard that there's less single sex flats available. Like it's not a big deal for me, I just think I'd be more comfortable with other girls, but I definitely see the appeal of mixed as well.
Does anyone know how single-sex versus mixed preferences might affect which hall you get?
For reference, this is at the University of Leeds and I put Montague Burton as my first preference. I did already submit my accomodation application and ended up saying don't mind for flatmate gender, but I'm considering emailing them and asking to change to single-sex flat preference.
Any thoughts?

Hi there
I don’t know a lot about single and mixed accommodations but you sound like you seem set on the single sex accommodation.
I’d say if you want that I would definitely email and re affirm that’s what you would like. Universities will be trying to figure out who to prioritise to put in those accommodations, so making your case for living there as strong as possible is for your best interest!!
Go for it :smile:
Emily <3
Reply 2
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
Hi there
I don’t know a lot about single and mixed accommodations but you sound like you seem set on the single sex accommodation.
I’d say if you want that I would definitely email and re affirm that’s what you would like. Universities will be trying to figure out who to prioritise to put in those accommodations, so making your case for living there as strong as possible is for your best interest!!
Go for it :smile:
Emily <3

Hi Emily,
Thank you so much for your thoughtful answer 🥹. I have emailed them now. I think I was feeling a bit self-conscious about my preference, and your response made me feel much better.
Thank you again!
Esmé <3
Hi Emily,
Thank you so much for your thoughtful answer 🥹. I have emailed them now. I think I was feeling a bit self-conscious about my preference, and your response made me feel much better.
Thank you again!
Esmé <3

Hi Esmé
You’re welcome. Don’t hesitate to reach out if there’s anything else!

Best wishes
Emily <3
Reply 4
Any thoughts?

Hi! If you're interested, I have a room available in an all girls flat that's a 2 minute walk from uni and it's £595 a month including bills. All the girls are really friendly, and if you're a cat person, there's going to be a cat living in the flat! The tenancy starts on 1st July so msg me if you're interested x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending