The Student Room Group

low grades

I got an E in my AS Level exam. what do I do next?
Original post by sidharth_.10

Was it an actual external AS exam (which is unlikely is you're in England), or was it an internal end-of-year 12 test? I ask as external AS results aren't out until August, so it's much more likely to be an internal exam.

Was this the only exam you took? How many other subjects are you taking? How did you do in those?

Are you studying for A levels? Or just AS levels? What were you hoping to do after these exams? University? An apprenticeship? A job?
Reply 2
(Original post by DataVenia)Was it an actual external AS exam (which is unlikely is you're in England), or was it an internal end-of-year 12 test? I ask as external AS results aren't out until August, so it's much more likely to be an internal exam.

Was this the only exam you took? How many other subjects are you taking? How did you do in those?

Are you studying for A levels? Or just AS levels? What were you hoping to do after these exams? University? An apprenticeship? A job?

we wrote the feb/march series and I got my results today. Other than Economics I have Accounting and Business. Ungraded in Accounting and another E in business. I did **** overall. I am going to do my A level but I doubt my school will let me through. After this I still have a year left of A level if I'm allowed but after that I was hoping to go to a uni.
we wrote the feb/march series and I got my results today. Other than Economics I have Accounting and Business. Ungraded in Accounting and another E in business. I did **** overall. I am going to do my A level but I doubt my school will let me through. After this I still have a year left of A level if I'm allowed but after that I was hoping to go to a uni.

OK. An AS level grade profile of EEU isn't ideal, as you will need to include these within your UCAS application (which states that, "You must enter all your qualifications from secondary education onwards"). Any university which looks at those grades might be concerned at to your likely performance at A level and university. :frown:

So when you're deciding which universities to apply to, you might want o steer clear of those which include AS levels as part of the selection process. If you look around at different university web sites, you will find comments like "AS-level results are not considered as part of the standard admissions process", "we do not use AS-level results formally in admissions decision-making". You might like to steer clear of those which say things like "We do however review each application on its individual strengths and merits and will take into account the full array of qualifications being presented..." or "Where AS results are included they will be taken in to consideration in addition to the other qualifications presented to us."

Do these grades represent your best efforts? Or did you "cruise" a little through the past year? If these don't represent you full potential, and if you can persuade you school to let you continue despite the EEU, then my advice would be to use this as a "wake-up" call and motivation to work more diligently from now onward.
Reply 4

How many past papers did you do? As CAIE board is the same almost since November 2001. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest