The Student Room Group

OCR Computer Science Paper 2 GCSE 2023

Did anyone else find that paper indescribably harder than other past papers or am I just stupid?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No it was atrocious dw
I think we all struggled with it to differing extents.
Personally I hated it but I have friends like @OB-100586 who I recon did much better.
Either way from talking to people the consensus seems to be it was an awfull paper so grade boundries should be low.
Reply 3
Yeah, way harder than any of the other ones. Got 79/80 on one of them, and I think I'd be lucky to get very far above 50 on that...
Reply 4
what did you do for the text file question
Reply 5
Original post by Seikaro
Did anyone else find that paper indescribably harder than other past papers or am I just stupid?

Dw me and a lot of ppl in my class thought it was terrible
yes definitley ive been getting 7s in my comp sci mocks but i literally guessed every single answer messed up on the SQL and logic gates and skipped one 6marker it was so bad

Original post by Seikaro
YEAH THAT EXAM WAS ATROCIOUS
let me ellaborate
most people in my yera thought that computer science in gereral was just not great, the question types were so diff to the practice papers and the speciemn paper ocr has put.
especially paper 2 the questions were just worded really badly and so far its the worse exam ive ever done in school
Reply 8
honestly, worst bloody paper i sat in my life, all that stress i've had, tears and all for this subject, i feel as if i should have been more stressed
Reply 9
Original post by Seikaro

Mate that last question was terrible.
Like I don't even know where to start with it.

The big issue with it was that I just used python for the entire paper because that was what my computer science teacher said to do. It never occurred to me that I might have to deal with the fact that python cannot do 2D arrays quite like the OCR reference language does.
I think OCR needs to have a major rethink with how they do computer science. I don't think the GCSE computer science course is nearly as good as other courses
I honestly thought that I might have failed given the fact that I did sort of okay in the first paper and then thought that this was how hard paper was typically. After seeing everyone else struggle, I think I'll be fine.
Did anyone else think that the last question had a possible mistake. Idk if I was just reading it wrong because at the start of the question it says the 2d array is called "eventsArray" but when it has the example of how to access it, it says "events[1,1]". I thought the variable name was eventsArray???? it seems like it is contradicting itself. Did anyone else notice this?
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Seikaro

Disgusting paper compared to paper 1. Paper 1 was a blessing, paper 2 was a let-down although not catastrophic. Hopefully, my grade levels out at 7
The specimen paper is a million miles away from the exam today. The specimen paper is a little too easy but a bit more realistic.
It was so horrible. Compared to past papers, this paper was just so bad. Hopefully grade boundaries are low
I'm praying the grade boundaries are low cause I literally only counted like 20 marks on this paper. Didn't even understand what some of the questions were asking??
Original post by Random_Student1
Did anyone else think that the last question had a possible mistake. Idk if I was just reading it wrong because at the start of the question it says the 2d array is called "eventsArray" but when it has the example of how to access it, it says "events[1,1]". I thought the variable name was eventsArray???? it seems like it is contradicting itself. Did anyone else notice this?

I remember looking at my answer when reading through the paper at the end and noticing that the array identifier was ArrayEvents, whereas i had written just events in my answer so i ended up crossing it all out and rewriting the whole algorithm again on the additional answer space, but i suppose as they had given you an example of the array identifier being just events they will have to reward you the marks for either identifier used in your answer.

Another problem with that questions too which bamboozled me was sort of the format of the array. For example, if ArrayEvents[a,b] corresponds to row a, column b or alternatively, row B column A. This is usually specified in the question in an example of how to access array, but the geniuses at OCR decided to give arrayevents[1,1], so there was no way at all of inferring the format of the array from this as both of these numbers are the same, meaning that you can't tell which one means the columns and which one means the rows. I assumed that arrayevents[a,b] corresponded to column a, row b, but i suppose they will have to give you the marks either way as there was no way of inference
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 17
Original post by woo003
what did you do for the text file question

I did something like this, in python:

def procedureName(data, filename):
. file = open(filename + ".txt", "a")
. file.write(data + "\n")
. file.close()
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Seikaro

There are 4 six markers , it wouldn’t even be that many in past papers.
My whole class went to the computer science teacher
to complain and it’s good that our teacher can give opinion about the paper to the exam board
Ridiculous paper, absolutely pathetic, as a student who revises a lot, I really struggled, the wording of particular questions was horrific.

Quick Reply

Latest