The Student Room Group

GCSE Computer Science Study Group 2022-2023

Welcome to the GCSE Computer Science Study Group!

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your GCSE exams this summer.

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for!

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

Specifications and Advance Information:

AQA Spec

Edexcel Spec

OCR Spec

Eduqas Spec

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this!

Scroll to see replies

Keeping this space for a list of resources or study tools that are recommended in this thread:
Does anyone know any good resources for computer science with coding? Like online coding practice for free ( also python) ? Please dont say codeacademy (useless)

Also Craig n Dave is good for OCR
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by nareony
Does anyone know any good resources for computer science with coding? Like online coding practice for free ( also python) ? Please dont say codeacademy (useless)

I mean personally I think W3 schools is really good for beginning to learn a language, but I've found that for absolute beginners try CS50 (Harvard), or variations, e.g. CS50P is for python, it's a free online lecture series and they're really informative. I would say if you know some coding best thing to do is just do some small projects (plenty of lists online), to increase your knowledge, because with coding hands-on is the best way to learn. Also, above everything else (even if you're new, and bear in mind these are just my thoughts) I'd say that doing a project is the best way to learn anyway. If you find a coding project (e.g. for Python) you like the sound of, find a Youtube tutorial or something and follow it along, making it yourself, and tweaking bits where you want to change it. Most tutorial channels explain what's going on, and it's a really good way to get used to (sometimes quite complex) coding, relatively quickly/easily.
Everyone learns/practices coding differently though, so these are just my thoughts. Though these work for beginners also good to consolidate your learning. Hope that helps! Good luck :smile:

P.S. as well as Craig N Dave that Nareony mentioned (which, incidentally, is good for Edexcel too), I like MrBrownCS. There are also some EDX courses that while not specifically for GCSE do help with your learning.
Original post by {Moss}
I mean personally I think W3 schools is really good for beginning to learn a language, but I've found that for absolute beginners try CS50 (Harvard), or variations, e.g. CS50P is for python, it's a free online lecture series and they're really informative. I would say if you know some coding best thing to do is just do some small projects (plenty of lists online), to increase your knowledge, because with coding hands-on is the best way to learn. Also, above everything else (even if you're new, and bear in mind these are just my thoughts) I'd say that doing a project is the best way to learn anyway. If you find a coding project (e.g. for Python) you like the sound of, find a Youtube tutorial or something and follow it along, making it yourself, and tweaking bits where you want to change it. Most tutorial channels explain what's going on, and it's a really good way to get used to (sometimes quite complex) coding, relatively quickly/easily.
Everyone learns/practices coding differently though, so these are just my thoughts. Though these work for beginners also good to consolidate your learning. Hope that helps! Good luck :smile:

P.S. as well as Craig N Dave that Nareony mentioned (which, incidentally, is good for Edexcel too), I like MrBrownCS. There are also some EDX courses that while not specifically for GCSE do help with your learning.

Woww thank you, I'll definitely try out the harvard lectures and W3 schools because harvards lectures are pretty interesting. And yes i have been told about doing coding projects but I just find it hard to enjoy them and actually get to doing them.
Thank you so muchh
Reply 5
Original post by nareony
Woww thank you, I'll definitely try out the harvard lectures and W3 schools because harvards lectures are pretty interesting. And yes i have been told about doing coding projects but I just find it hard to enjoy them and actually get to doing them.
Thank you so muchh

That's great, glad to be of assistance :smile: Good luck!
Reply 6
Hey all, OCR student here - got to love pseudocode :confused:. Mostly got the theory, but missed 2 months of school last year, that happened to be the 2 months that my class learnt the coding aspect. This year, I've been stuck unable to do any coding without help beyond the extreme basics... any ideas of how i can get better in a fun way??
just follow a basic python tutorial
have a look at code wars. advent of code (if your a little adventuruous)

Original post by deskio
Hey all, OCR student here - got to love pseudocode :confused:. Mostly got the theory, but missed 2 months of school last year, that happened to be the 2 months that my class learnt the coding aspect. This year, I've been stuck unable to do any coding without help beyond the extreme basics... any ideas of how i can get better in a fun way??
Hello there, I’m studying GCSE Edexcel Computer Science at Chadwell Heath Academy
Reply 9
hiii omg does anyone know where i can can get some good practice on paper 2 topics ocr im failing so badly
Reply 10
Original post by nareony

This may be a little late but codingbat really helped me out.
Not sure if this is helpful to anyone doing computer science but I've found these on Itunes and Spotify etc... https://music.apple.com/cy/artist/ray-chambers/783634945 it's the AQA specification for paper 2 but the teacher has put tracks for studying specific areas online. I noticed this morning a new one called Networks arrived so I'm assuming there will be a few more. Artist is Ray Chambers.
Another useful link is this playlist where the teacher goes over all of the past questions step by step with his students - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB4yon62GPA&list=PLt_K63PuRoWFc3lb8aLbPbmwplbCjZO1i
Reply 13
Good luck for next Friday Edexcel peeps! Best of luck with all the exams, everyone :biggrin:
Original post by lumm.ine
hiii omg does anyone know where i can can get some good practice on paper 2 topics ocr im failing so badly

isaac computer science or csnewbs
Original post by nareony

W3 Schools has some really great tutorials for Python Coding :smile: :nyancat:
Reply 16
Is anyone doing edexcel tomorrow ?
Reply 17
Original post by kmat1893
Is anyone doing edexcel tomorrow ?

Yep, over here! I believe this is the exam chat, if you wanted it for tomorrow. Best of luck :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by {Moss}
Yep, over here! I believe this is the exam chat, if you wanted it for tomorrow. Best of luck :biggrin:

Are you going to memorise the data misuse acts and the cookies etc in topic 5
Reply 19
Original post by kmat1893
Are you going to memorise the data misuse acts and the cookies etc in topic 5

Probably, but not off by heart. Looking at past papers you only seem to need to know about ~3 of the Data Protection names, e.g. Storage Limitation, and for the Six Markers you can just speak about it without saying their explicit names, which is nice. I don't think we actually need to memorise cookies (looking at the spec, cookies aren't mentioned at all), I think we just need to sort of get down the problems with sharing data and such: I saw a question the other day that was asking about why a website would need to collect data about their customers, the answer being better customer retention and sales due to personalisation, which is kind of related to cookies, but we definitely don't need the definition. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending