The Student Room Group

URGENT!! Advice needed for kcl GCSE requirements

Hi, I want to apply to KCL for BSC psychology and have attained these GCSE grades: 998776666.
My predicted grades are: A*A*A*

I got a 6 in GCSE maths which is what they require, however, I feel as though I may be disadvantaged compared to someone who got 7/8/9

I would appreciate any advice and thiughts on whether it will affect my application.

Thank you 🙂
Original post by Hneudkejwuad
Hi, I want to apply to KCL for BSC psychology and have attained these GCSE grades: 998776666.
My predicted grades are: A*A*A*

I got a 6 in GCSE maths which is what they require, however, I feel as though I may be disadvantaged compared to someone who got 7/8/9

I would appreciate any advice and thiughts on whether it will affect my application.

Thank you 🙂

There's not a lot to say that you don't already know. You meet the GCSE entry requirement for Maths. However, your GCSE grade profile might not be as strong as others, and this may have an impact.

Would I be correct in saying that you're not doing Maths at A level? I ask because KCL require "Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology" and prefer "Biology and Mathematics" (source). So if you are doing A level Maths, and are predicted an A* having achieved grade 6 at GCSE, then that might cast some doubt as to the accuracy of that prediction. Similarly, if your other A levels include any of the subjects for which you achieved a grade 6 at GCSE,

Given that this thread title starts "URGENT!!", I assume you're applying for this year (September 2024 start). Is that right? If so, the fact that you're about three weeks after the equal consideration deadline will potentially have more impact that your GCSE grades anyway.
Original post by DataVenia

There's not a lot to say that you don't already know. You meet the GCSE entry requirement for Maths. However, your GCSE grade profile might not be as strong as others, and this may have an impact.

Would I be correct in saying that you're not doing Maths at A level? I ask because KCL require "Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology" and prefer "Biology and Mathematics" (source). So if you are doing A level Maths, and are predicted an A* having achieved grade 6 at GCSE, then that might cast some doubt as to the accuracy of that prediction. Similarly, if your other A levels include any of the subjects for which you achieved a grade 6 at GCSE,

Given that this thread title starts "URGENT!!", I assume you're applying for this year (September 2024 start). Is that right? If so, the fact that you're about three weeks after the equal consideration deadline will potentially have more impact that your GCSE grades anyway.

They only look at GCSE maths they don’t really consider your overall profile like that. They’ll look to see if your grades are decent but I don’t believe the emphasis is that much. I do two of the subjects they require. I understand your response but you make my GCSEs sound much weaker than what they are. I appreciate honest feedback but would prefer it to be constructive.

Quick Reply

Latest