The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath University

Hi! I'm currently doing research into possible uni options and I am seriously considering Bath University. I was just wondering if any of the current students could tell me what it's like studying there and whether they like it or not :smile:
I do not attend but one thing I can say is the cost of living in areas such have Bath have really put me off going, even the accommodation within the uni is a lot higher and so is purchasing daily items
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
it’s an expensive place to live and the university is quite full on - what course are you considering as all of the STEM courses have at least 24 contact hours a week which is a LOT more than most unis
Original post by Anonymous
it’s an expensive place to live and the university is quite full on - what course are you considering as all of the STEM courses have at least 24 contact hours a week which is a LOT more than most unis

Wouldn’t most STEM courses be full on at decent unis? I’ve got an offer for Biochem at Bath and am trying to decide. I know it’ll be hard work but why would it be harder than other unis? Also got birm ex and notts. I loved bath but cost of living does worry me. And agree the halls are a lot more expensive than say notts birm or ex and smaller!!
Wouldn’t most STEM courses be full on at decent unis? I’ve got an offer for Biochem at Bath and am trying to decide. I know it’ll be hard work but why would it be harder than other unis? Also got birm ex and notts. I loved bath but cost of living does worry me. And agree the halls are a lot more expensive than say notts birm or ex and smaller!!

yeah stem is defo full on at all unis just in my experience people doing the same course as me at a different uni have way less contact hours
bath is a beautiful place but cost of living really doesn’t make it easier and i definitely wished i’d made it a bigger factor when choosing so if money is an issue for you, you should take it into account
yeah stem is defo full on at all unis just in my experience people doing the same course as me at a different uni have way less contact hours
bath is a beautiful place but cost of living really doesn’t make it easier and i definitely wished i’d made it a bigger factor when choosing so if money is an issue for you, you should take it into account

It is and it isn’t. My parents are going to help me but it’s not endless and I’ll need to budget properly- no healthy trust fund 🤣. Am making decisions between en-suite and shared but more socials so budget is a factor and doing stem j doubt I’ll get much time for a job - I play sport too which will consume time. I’m assuming my course will be intense wherever I chose, just to say I’ve noticed how baths accommodation on campus is more expensive that most other unis I’ve looked at and smaller! Which halls are you ?
It is and it isn’t. My parents are going to help me but it’s not endless and I’ll need to budget properly- no healthy trust fund 🤣. Am making decisions between en-suite and shared but more socials so budget is a factor and doing stem j doubt I’ll get much time for a job - I play sport too which will consume time. I’m assuming my course will be intense wherever I chose, just to say I’ve noticed how baths accommodation on campus is more expensive that most other unis I’ve looked at and smaller! Which halls are you ?

Hello there!

Many congrats on your offer from Bath really glad to hear you are considering us! I am a (relatively) recent Bath graduate and so completely understand where you are coming from in terms of budgeting dilemmas.

Like you, my course was a competitive one and the workload was high this made it difficult for me to be able to commit to a regular part-time job. However something I found both useful and great fun was applying to work as a student ambassador essentially a Bath University rep who helps at various events (school visits, summer schools etc), takes visitors on campus tours, and there are also options to do online mentoring and social media work (even posting on TSR!). Ambassadors are paid a very good hourly rate for a student job for work that is actually really good fun, and because you can sign up to events as and when they are convenient for you I found this was a great option to balance with my busy timetable.

Budgeting is never easy at university, but there are definitely day-to-day things you can try to save yourself a bit of money whilst studying. You might want to check out this page from Money Saving Expert the part at the bottom ‘Extra budgeting tips: The 9 top tips’ might be particularly relevant for students 😊. They give a few general tips on managing your spending whilst at university, and be sure to check out the various scholarships and bursaries we offer at Bath and check out which ones you might be eligible for.

Some of the other things I found helped me save money at university included…

Making the most of student discounts (more info here!)– in particular getting a Totum card helped me get some discount on my phone package, and a half-price pizza delivery with my flatmates for a treat during freshers’ week! In particular the Totum digital card is a free option which still gives you access to a lot of deals.

Shopping at charity shops and making most of the end-of-the-day price reductions. There are several second-hand shops in Bath (BHF, Dorothy House, Julian House, Oxfam etc) all within walking distance of the bus station. Plus, at the end of the day most shops in town and on campus reduce the prices of items with a close sell-by date which are still perfectly usable on that day and will always keep in the freezer.

Supermarket deliveries. As the shops on campus are quite small and a little more expensive than supermarkets in town, me and my flatmates got supermarket deliveries in each week, where we added everything each of us wanted, then shared the delivery charge. This usually cost us around £4 split between ten of us this was only 40p each, and meant we could buy the cheaper supermarket brands which were not available on campus.

These tips should be helpful with day-to-day spending regardless of which accommodation you choose I hope you find some of it useful!

Best of luck! And please feel free to post any more questions on here 😊

Holly
University of Bath
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 7
Uni of Bath Open Days are in June and September - https://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/undergraduate-open-days/
Reply 8
Hi I have a question that’s been bothering me . I got a grade 5 in math at GCSE level but the entry requirement for business is a grade 6. However , I achieved the grade 6 requirement for English . I also got a triple distinction star at b tech level and the entry requirement was only a triple D .

My question is would my 1 grade off the math GCSE affect my chances at getting an offer ????
Reply 9
Original post by Ibzz23
Hi I have a question that’s been bothering me . I got a grade 5 in math at GCSE level but the entry requirement for business is a grade 6. However , I achieved the grade 6 requirement for English . I also got a triple distinction star at b tech level and the entry requirement was only a triple D .

My question is would my 1 grade off the math GCSE affect my chances at getting an offer ????

This is one to ask admissions direct. I’d say though if it says that in the website then that’s what they want and you’d not receive an offer. But check.
Reply 10
Original post by Ibzz23
Hi I have a question that’s been bothering me . I got a grade 5 in math at GCSE level but the entry requirement for business is a grade 6.

Not having the required GCSE grades is the fastest way to get an immediate rejection.

Quick Reply

Latest