The Student Room Group

Y12 Mocks for UCAS

I am going to do y12 ucas mocks in a week, i just feel it in my bones that i wont get good grades form them and that will mean i wont be able to apply for univeristy, i belive that i can get the grades i need in y13 alevels but i just dont think i will be able to get them right now...and the thing is i dont want to take a gapyear but i will probably have to because there is no clearing for the course i am thinking off ,a s it is oversubscribed as it is..what should i do?....i feel that by taking a gapyear i will forget my a-level knowledge and will miss out on having experiecnes the same time as my friends
(edited 11 months ago)
Which course are you thinking of?

There is no rule that says you’re mock results have to be your predicted grades - it’s up to your teachers and college to decide what predicted grades are added to your reference - and not all universities put any weight on predicted grades.
Original post by PQ
Which course are you thinking of?

There is no rule that says you’re mock results have to be your predicted grades - it’s up to your teachers and college to decide what predicted grades are added to your reference - and not all universities put any weight on predicted grades.

i am thinking of med and i know if there is evidence for ucas grades they will predict us one higher ...and i think any of teh univeristies iw nat to go to do care about predicted grades and the thing is i dont think my teachers even think i am capable of getting those grades...i joined a new sixth form, my old school never had one..and although i try in class...the only 2 topic exams i have done, which were like 4 months ago...werent that good---like i got Cs from them cause i just got half.. i just end up panicking too mcuh when i see the paper---so i end up doing rubbish even on qs i do know....:frown:
Even with 4 A* predictions it’s sensible to plan for a gap year and reapplying if you want to do medicine.

Have you read the stickied threads in the medicine forum?

If it’s what you want to do then do your best in mocks, prepare for ukcat and see what happens (while always preparing for a gap year).

If you have problems with exam nerves and technique in mocks then that’s likely to happen with the official exams too so you need to talk to your teachers about what’s happening so that you can solve the problem.
Reply 4
Then don't apply for 2024 and just work your socks off for the best possible grades you can get.

Then apply for 2025 entry.

If you can't be bothered to a) really work for your A levels, and b) wait a year to achieve this, then you dont have the necessary motivation or commitment for Medicine. Pick another career.
Original post by PQ
Even with 4 A* predictions it’s sensible to plan for a gap year and reapplying if you want to do medicine.

Have you read the stickied threads in the medicine forum?

If it’s what you want to do then do your best in mocks, prepare for ukcat and see what happens (while always preparing for a gap year).

If you have problems with exam nerves and technique in mocks then that’s likely to happen with the official exams too so you need to talk to your teachers about what’s happening so that you can solve the problem.

thank u so much, i will have a look at the forum and the thing is i dont think my tecahers owuld take me srsly because i feel like they think its just normal exam nerves, every student has them etc so they would just say stay calm......i might see if i can take the exams in a seperate place from everyone, as i feel more panicky hearing everyone writing....
Original post by McGinger
Then don't apply for 2024 and just work your socks off for the best possible grades you can get.

Then apply for 2025 entry.

If you can't be bothered to a) really work for your A levels, and b) wait a year to achieve this, then you dont have the necessary motivation or commitment for Medicine. Pick another career.

i am definitely bothered ...the whole reason i decided to continue with an academic route was so i could one day help people....but u are right . if i ended up having to apply the year after i would..i just would rather prefer it to be nxt yr rather than the yr after...anyways thanks for ur advise and i understand as medicine truly isnt a career for the weak willed
Reply 7
Original post by Chickenunicorn17
I am going to do y12 ucas mocks in a week, i just feel it in my bones that i wont get good grades form them and that will mean i wont be able to apply for univeristy, i belive that i can get the grades i need in y13 alevels but i just dont think i will be able to get them right now...and the thing is i dont want to take a gapyear but i will probably have to because there is no clearing for the course i am thinking off ,a s it is oversubscribed as it is..what should i do?....i feel that by taking a gapyear i will forget my a-level knowledge and will miss out on having experiecnes the same time as my friends

Heya!
I would recommend talking to your teacher and explaining your situation in case your mocks don't go well (hopefully they will go well!) :h: For now, continue preparing for mocks and try doing your best. If it helps, Study Mind has free resources to help you!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
I would recommend talking to your teacher and explaining your situation in case your mocks don't go well (hopefully they will go well!) :h: For now, continue preparing for mocks and try doing your best. If it helps, Study Mind has free resources to help you!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

thnaks, ur right, i shouldnt be so pessimistic ...ill just wait and see

Quick Reply

Latest