The Student Room Group

how does redoing y12 affect my chances at unis (oxbridge)

ive sat my AS exams last year and gotten A's in all of them, but then due to personal reasons I had to move across the country, and I couldn't find a sixth form that would let me join Y13 so I've had to redo year 12. I was wondering how this may affect my applications to uni, particularly to oxbridge?
(edited 11 months ago)
its only 1 year so i am pretty sure ur ok....everyone has circumstances and i think ur situation can be taken into account...........it would basically kind of be like taking a gap year and even if u did do it cause u got cs or ds in y12 and so u redid it and then u applied after redoing y12 and got as/a stars , they wouldnt hold u accountable ...also as u r redoing y12 u will find it so much easier cause u will know all of it laready so this can help u get even better mocks and thus be able to be more compeetetive in oxbridge offers.....its tough btu take this as a spositive nad let it be an advantage for u--if i were u i would probably start prepping eraly on y13 stuff and completely master y12----best of luck and ur very strong....x
Reply 2
Original post by rnrsf
ive sat my AS exams last year and gotten A's in all of them, but then due to personal reasons I had to move across the country, and I couldn't find a sixth form that would let me join Y13 so I've had to redo year 12. I was wondering how this may affect my applications to uni, particularly to oxbridge?

Which subjects are you studying?

You would need to impress the admissions with one grade higher from the standard offer in your predicted grades for a strong chance of success at Oxbridge.

I wonder what your GCSEs are like? :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by thegeek888
Which subjects are you studying?

You would need to impress the admissions with one grade higher from the standard offer in your predicted grades for a strong chance of success at Oxbridge.

I wonder what your GCSEs are like? :s-smilie:

im doing maths, further maths, physics and economics

i've gotten all 8's and 9's in GCSEs and so far I'm predicted A*A*A*A
Reply 4
Original post by rnrsf
im doing maths, further maths, physics and economics

i've gotten all 8's and 9's in GCSEs and so far I'm predicted A*A*A*A

Apply for Economics at Trinity Hall College, Cambridge University then!!! :biggrin:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by thegeek888
Apply for Economics at Trinity Hall College, Cambridge University then!!! :biggrin:

i was thinking more of physics at oxford, since my interest lies in physics.

would redoing y12 have an effect on my application though do you think
Reply 6
Original post by rnrsf

Your UCAS will show you moved school and your referee can explain the circumstances.
Reply 7
Original post by rnrsf

As long as you achieve/predicted A*A*A in your 3 best A-Level subjects, you stand a good chance of being shortlisted for interviews. Also you can get your referee, to explain your circumstances in your reference. :smile:
i would ask an admissions person at Oxford or Cambridge about this :smile:
I would add a couple of sentences to your personal statement explaining the disruption to your education. Tutors reading your PS will then take this into consideration. People move schools for all kinds of reasons and it happens more than you might think. Your predicted grades look good so it shouldn't interfere with your application to Oxbridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending