The Student Room Group

insight on GCSE DT NEA (WJEC)

hi, ive just joined the forums

So im a bit worried abt the NEAs cuz we weren't really given much information on how we will be doing the project.
& since the contexts will be revealed right after half term,
would just like to know how the contexts will be like and
what kind of things students struggled with when they last did their NEAs
Reply 1
Hi.. I did my NEA this year and I've just handed it in to be marked. My exam board was AQA but hopefully I can help. So the contexts are usually quite easy to work with, as in you can interpret them in a lot of different ways. They're mostly everyday things that you can easily get information on like outdoor living, pets etc. so I wouldn't worry too much about the contexts.
The hardest part for me was getting the right primary research. Our teacher was off for most of our NEA so we had no input for the research section. I would say that the type of research you do will vary with what you're making, so if other people in your class have done something that you don't think you need, don't worry too much about it as long as you have good quality research backing up your design process. That's not to say that you shouldn't do a lot of research, but you should know what you need and how to carry it out in the best way for your project. Try and get a lot of opinions and feedback from your client or target market. The examiners like that.
I'd also focus a LOT on the initial designs section because that will get you more marks. If you show how you progressed from an initial sketch to your final design with diagrams, annotations, prototype models etc. you'll impress the examiners. Keep referring to your client/target market and get their opinions throughout your design process. Also, when you do your evaluation, try to get actual feedback from a retailer in a shop that would ideally sell your product. Again, this is all for the AQA exam board and I'm not sure how much of it applies to yours but I hope this helped.
Reply 2
Original post by diyadipesh
Hi.. I did my NEA this year and I've just handed it in to be marked. My exam board was AQA but hopefully I can help. So the contexts are usually quite easy to work with, as in you can interpret them in a lot of different ways. They're mostly everyday things that you can easily get information on like outdoor living, pets etc. so I wouldn't worry too much about the contexts.
The hardest part for me was getting the right primary research. Our teacher was off for most of our NEA so we had no input for the research section. I would say that the type of research you do will vary with what you're making, so if other people in your class have done something that you don't think you need, don't worry too much about it as long as you have good quality research backing up your design process. That's not to say that you shouldn't do a lot of research, but you should know what you need and how to carry it out in the best way for your project. Try and get a lot of opinions and feedback from your client or target market. The examiners like that.
I'd also focus a LOT on the initial designs section because that will get you more marks. If you show how you progressed from an initial sketch to your final design with diagrams, annotations, prototype models etc. you'll impress the examiners. Keep referring to your client/target market and get their opinions throughout your design process. Also, when you do your evaluation, try to get actual feedback from a retailer in a shop that would ideally sell your product. Again, this is all for the AQA exam board and I'm not sure how much of it applies to yours but I hope this helped.

Gotcha! This gives me the overall idea so Thank YOUUUU-----
I've got a question from what you've said about the research, do you just need to analyse the whatever object or person or concept and then evaluate whether it fits into the design?? or is it about recording the prototyping process? just a bit confused, never done that of thing. :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by avg. learner
Gotcha! This gives me the overall idea so Thank YOUUUU-----
I've got a question from what you've said about the research, do you just need to analyse the whatever object or person or concept and then evaluate whether it fits into the design?? or is it about recording the prototyping process? just a bit confused, never done that of thing. :frown:

No problem.. glad I could help!
So for the research, I analysed every step of the way, from the initial concept to the client and then other designers that could influence my ideas. You'll probably get a list of all the things you need to research into from your teachers, otherwise you can look at past examples to get a better idea. I'd recommend doing a little evaluation every time you do a section of research so you show the examiners why you did that research and how it helps you. Try and do like a sort of journal when you're manufacturing your product as well, so you can explain your thought process and how you faced challenges.
Don't worry too much about it though.. you'll likely get a lot of input from your teachers and your friends can help you as well. I'll try and answer any more questions if you have them too!
Reply 4
Ok i I’ll definitely try and do those

Quick Reply

Latest