The Student Room Group

NEA 2 - Food tech

I've chosen the task 'Plan, prepare, cook and present a range of dishes that celebrate an event, occasion or festival from around the world. Present three dishes.' I have gone for Diwali but am so confused what the difference is between task B - technical and task D - final exam. I know task B is only worth 18 marks against the 30 marks available for task D, but surely technical food is worth more?? I'm not sure which of my dishes to do for each task. Looking at one of my desserts, there really isn't much skill involved, with it being ladoo. If I was to make an indian based cheesecake with homemade biscuits and laddoo, would this be technical enough?
Reply 1
What were the other choices ? Our food tech teacher is off and we haven’t been given them yet !
Reply 2
Original post by Littlelumley
I've chosen the task 'Plan, prepare, cook and present a range of dishes that celebrate an event, occasion or festival from around the world. Present three dishes.' I have gone for Diwali but am so confused what the difference is between task B - technical and task D - final exam. I know task B is only worth 18 marks against the 30 marks available for task D, but surely technical food is worth more?? I'm not sure which of my dishes to do for each task. Looking at one of my desserts, there really isn't much skill involved, with it being ladoo. If I was to make an indian based cheesecake with homemade biscuits and laddoo, would this be technical enough?

I'm doing the same task, but I've chosen Eid. We've just finished our technical exam in early December and basically it's to show complex skills to the examiner. You can't do the same dishes that you are planning to do for your final, but you can make them similar. I used skills such as tenderising and marinating, deboning a lamb shank, making bread, making pastry (all from scratch), etc, and my teacher gave me a 9 / A*. So for yours, if you plan on doing the cheesecake and laddoo, you need to make sure your other two dishes have more complicated skills. Otherwise, you won't be able to reach the highest grade boundary. Hope this helps.
Reply 3
Original post by Park-fatm
What were the other choices ? Our food tech teacher is off and we haven’t been given them yet !

Plan, prepare, cook and present a range of healthy and nutritious dishes that would appeal to a
family with a limited food budget. Present three dishes.

Plan, prepare, cook and present a range of dishes to be sold in a café or restaurant that is
promoting using fresh and seasonal ingredients. Present three dishes.

Plan, prepare, cook and present a range of dishes that celebrate an event, occasion or festival
from around the world. Present three dishes.
Reply 4
Original post by idklol4523
I'm doing the same task, but I've chosen Eid. We've just finished our technical exam in early December and basically it's to show complex skills to the examiner. You can't do the same dishes that you are planning to do for your final, but you can make them similar. I used skills such as tenderising and marinating, deboning a lamb shank, making bread, making pastry (all from scratch), etc, and my teacher gave me a 9 / A*. So for yours, if you plan on doing the cheesecake and laddoo, you need to make sure your other two dishes have more complicated skills. Otherwise, you won't be able to reach the highest grade boundary. Hope this helps.

Yes I'm also doing Eid but I have no clue which dishes would be classed as 'complex'. What did you make for your teacher to rank you high. Our class has only completed section A.
I am doing Section D next week. I did the family one.
Reply 6
Original post by Dogsarelovely263
I am doing Section D next week. I did the family one.
Same I'm doing my practical on the 28th.
29th for me
Reply 8
im nearly finished with my nea2 just have no clue what to write for the final part improvements and mods and final overview how well have u met the task can someone please send theirs im stuck
Original post by loweeza
im nearly finished with my nea2 just have no clue what to write for the final part improvements and mods and final overview how well have u met the task can someone please send theirs im stuck

Hi,
Advice from me and my food teacher
I would advise you all that in your closing paragraph in your overall evaluation you refer back to your exam question.

eg - Were your 3 final dishes suitable for your task? was your presentation on point for a restaurant? were your ingredients seasonal? Were the portion sizes correct? Could you have made them cheaper for a family on a budget? could you have chosen dishes that were more suitable to your festival or occasio
n?
Use trolley.co.uk for pricings

Quick Reply

Latest