The Student Room Group

Skin peeling on face after applying Dettol after shaving. What to do now?

Hey! So, I had a interview a couple of days ago and was short of time to get a proper shave done and so I shaved my beard without foam (yeah... bad decision...) and I didn't have any after shave lotion lying around so I applied large amounts of Dettol to my face. I immediately started feeling a burning sensation so I applied ice to my face. Yesterday I noticed that the skin on my face started peeling off, it's getting worse now, like half the skin in my face has peeled off. What should I do now? I have applied Aloe Vera cream to my face? Will Dettol cause skin to peel off? A few years ago I shaved my pubes and applied Dettol there and the same thing happened. Also I mix Dettol with water in my bathtub to take baths, is it harmful to take Dettol baths? Should I stop using Dettol?
Reply 1
dettol?! that's a cleaning product - i'm fairly sure it's not meant to be used on skin!! please stop using dettol if it's the disinfectant (maybe try reading the label on the bottle you're using) and wash the areas that have been in contact with it with clean water, maybe apply some cream on it and don't touch the skin while it heals. only use products intended for use on skin as it's dangerous not to!
Original post by CuriousIndian
Should I stop using Dettol?

Yes, you don't seem to understand it.
Original post by fernducko
dettol?! that's a cleaning product - i'm fairly sure it's not meant to be used on skin!! please stop using dettol if it's the disinfectant (maybe try reading the label on the bottle you're using) and wash the areas that have been in contact with it with clean water, maybe apply some cream on it and don't touch the skin while it heals. only use products intended for use on skin as it's dangerous not to!

Nah, they do make shaving products too.
Reply 4
Original post by toxicgamage56
Nah, they do make shaving products too.

ohh i see that makes more sense lol sorry. either way, to op @CuriousIndian, if your body is having a negative reaction to something you should most probably stop using it :frown:
(Just because Dettol makes other products doesn't mean that is what we are talking about here, I still think it's just a damn bottle of the stuff since we're talking about making baths with it :tongue: )

Quick Reply

Latest