The Student Room Group

my palm started to feel like plastic, when should i stop washing my hand?

last month I developed a habit where I kept on washing my hands using handwash. I just couldn't stop and don't know when my hands should be considered clean and when I should stop washing them. Here are the scenarios where I will rewash my hands using handwash soap:

1- When the water from the sink bounces back onto my palms while washing.

2- When I accidentally touch the sink while washing.

3- I always wash my hands more than twice. I don't know why I don't think washing them once with soap is enough. Is this normal?

4- I wash them more than three or four times after putting my laundry in the washing machine.

5- I wash my hands with soap after using a Dettol wipe to clean my phone before cleaning my laptop. Then I wash my hands with soap again before cleaning my desk.

6- I wash my hands again when I accidentally touch the faucet (tap).

7- I spend alot on cleaning product, my housemate also noticed why i showered for a long time and when the water bill arrived, i dont even know how to explain.

8- i feared washing machine [touching detergent] and tumble dryer the most, every time after using it i will wash my hand for more than 15 mins. is this normal, when does it consider as clean.

Sometimes, I don't believe that my hands are clean. It's like I forget when to consider my hands clean. Sometimes, I wash my hands or take a shower for more than an hour. I keep washing my hands after touching anything in the bathroom.

These habits prevent me from doing meaningful things. Sometimes, I don't sleep for days because after cleaning something in my room, I go and wash my hands with soap before cleaning the next thing. It takes so much time that I didn't sleep for two nights. Yesterday, I didn't sleep at all because I was cleaning my phone, debit card, and the sink. These habits also prevent me from cooking my own meals. Sometimes, I only eat bread and biscuits for breakfast and skip dinner and lunch. I have also stopped working out because I'm scared that if I touch the carpet, I'll spread all the germs to my housemates. I have lost a lot of weight because of this, and I wake up with anxiety. Sometimes, the first thing I do when I wake up is wash my hands with soap. My hands are so dry that it's hard for me to fully open them without risking injury. There are razor blade-like cuts on my hands, and now my palms feel like plastic. It doesn't feel normal.

When should I stop washing my hands? When are they considered clean? It's so hard for me to deal with this. I have used a lot of patience, and I want to stop this as I spend more time in front of the sink than on my screen. I can't do anything productive in my life. Sometimes, I also stop hanging out with my friends because of this issue, and my friends ask me why I suddenly disappeared, and I have to come up with fake excuses. I want to stop this before it gets worse. I'm still young 22, I don't want this issue to ruin my life.
Hi @okwha

Sorry to hear you're struggling with all this. Have you shared your experiences with your parents or a GP doctor? Not to diagnose over the internet but it sounds like obsessive compulsive (OCD) tendencies. If this is something that you feel is taking over your life it's definitely a good idea to seek some help and advice from a doctor before it becomes even more overwhelming than it sounds like it is already.

I would also recommend finding a moisturiser that has some antibacterial properties so that you can protect your hands, as you're drying them out and cracking the skin with the amount that you're washing them which must be so uncomfortable for you.

Your GP can recommend some mental health resources to help you cope with reasons why you feel like you need to do this so much. It sounds like you're aware that it is becoming a problem which is the first step to seeking help is knowing that you're experiencing some troubling behaviour before it gets much worse.

Hope you're able to find some peace and get some help with this

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Reply 2
Original post by EssexStudentRep
Hi @okwha

Sorry to hear you're struggling with all this. Have you shared your experiences with your parents or a GP doctor? Not to diagnose over the internet but it sounds like obsessive compulsive (OCD) tendencies. If this is something that you feel is taking over your life it's definitely a good idea to seek some help and advice from a doctor before it becomes even more overwhelming than it sounds like it is already.

I would also recommend finding a moisturiser that has some antibacterial properties so that you can protect your hands, as you're drying them out and cracking the skin with the amount that you're washing them which must be so uncomfortable for you.

Your GP can recommend some mental health resources to help you cope with reasons why you feel like you need to do this so much. It sounds like you're aware that it is becoming a problem which is the first step to seeking help is knowing that you're experiencing some troubling behaviour before it gets much worse.

Hope you're able to find some peace and get some help with this

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley

thanks for the recommendation, i really appreciate it. I'm on my way recovering

Quick Reply

Latest