The Student Room Group

I keep pulling my hair out and i can’t stop

my hair line is a messy bc my baby hairs keep growing and i just find myself playing with them and occasionally pulling out the longer hairs. It doesn’t hurt that much and sort of makes me feel good/happy. idk how to stop, this is a recently developed habit of mine but it makes me feel so happy so idk how to stop. I know it’s not good and by the rate this is going, i’m going to get mine bald patches. idk how easy it is to pull your hair out by it’s quite easy for me, i take one strand at a time and pull and i barely feel a thing. Is my hair very weak or is this normal? how do i stop? i think this is from stress and boredom
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
my hair line is a messy bc my baby hairs keep growing and i just find myself playing with them and occasionally pulling out the longer hairs. It doesn’t hurt that much and sort of makes me feel good/happy. idk how to stop, this is a recently developed habit of mine but it makes me feel so happy so idk how to stop. I know it’s not good and by the rate this is going, i’m going to get mine bald patches. idk how easy it is to pull your hair out by it’s quite easy for me, i take one strand at a time and pull and i barely feel a thing. Is my hair very weak or is this normal? how do i stop? i think this is from stress and boredom

Have you ever heard of trichotillomania?
https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/conditions/trichotillomania/

I used to be in a very similar situation to you, so I completely understand how you're feeling and how it's kind of satisfying. I spent a few months/years of my childhood with hardly any eyebrows or eyelashes; can't remember exactly how I got out of it (probably involved skin picking oops, and I definitely notice it more when I'm stressed) but things can get better :smile:. Well done on noticing and trying to work out a way to stop :smile:
If you can, maybe see if you can speak to a GP about this to see if they can point you in some direction?
Also see if there are any things that you could fidget with? e.g. bubble wrap or a clicky pen or something to shred, I know it's not quite the same but it still gives some sort of gentle destruction if you get me :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by bl0bf1sh
Have you ever heard of trichotillomania?
https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/conditions/trichotillomania/

I used to be in a very similar situation to you, so I completely understand how you're feeling and how it's kind of satisfying. I spent a few months/years of my childhood with hardly any eyebrows or eyelashes; can't remember exactly how I got out of it (probably involved skin picking oops, and I definitely notice it more when I'm stressed) but things can get better :smile:. Well done on noticing and trying to work out a way to stop :smile:
If you can, maybe see if you can speak to a GP about this to see if they can point you in some direction?
Also see if there are any things that you could fidget with? e.g. bubble wrap or a clicky pen or something to shred, I know it's not quite the same but it still gives some sort of gentle destruction if you get me :smile:

oh yeah i've heard of that but i never rlly related to it yet because i don't think its severe enough. Is that bad. But yes i will look into finding something to fidget because i am a chronic nail biter too, i cannot be suffering from both things
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
oh yeah i've heard of that but i never rlly related to it yet because i don't think its severe enough. Is that bad. But yes i will look into finding something to fidget because i am a chronic nail biter too, i cannot be suffering from both things

How does one define “severe enough”? If there’s something you’re struggling with, it’s valid. You don’t have to put a label on it but it’s certainly not something to be ashamed of.

Good luck with the fidget item(s), hopefully you’ll find something that works :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest