The Student Room Group

deleted

….
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Which other A-Level subjects are you studying alongside A-Level Geography?

A-Level Biology can be learned in 3 months inside out and another 2 months for exam techniques when done in 1 year of teaching time. :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by spliced
Regret about my a level choices has been consuming me for the past months (sorry if these posts are annoying, I just still haven’t been able to get past it). I really wish I had taken biology instead of geography. It would have been way more useful for my uni course, and I definitely would have enjoyed it more. I do think my reasons for disliking geography aren’t particularly fair, like I just don’t find it stimulating, don’t like the exam style, the people on my course aren’t great, and it’s not as respected as the sciences- as well as this I have coursework which will take up my summer! I’m predicted an A* in it, so I am doing well, but this regret has led me to despise it. I really don’t know what to do. I keep saying I will just push through with it, as I know I will be able to get good grades and it’s only one more year, but I genuinely haven’t been able to stop thinking about it and feeling regretful. I really don’t want to restart year 12 as it would be a waste of a year for me. I could try and learn AS bio over summer and then come out with the full a level alongside my others (probs having dropped geog), but this seems near impossible and I doubt I would be allowed. I have been told I can take up AS bio during year 13, and whilst it would be useful to learn regardless, I would much rather have the full a level, as most unis don’t even consider AS grades.

I really don’t know how I can fully get past this!!!! Should I just try learning the bio content anyways to see if it’s something I would be capable of doing? Or should I just suck it up and keep going (and if so, how can i stop the constant regretful thoughts)? I’m in the last term of year 12 now, so my options are slim.

With the option of retaking the year, Im also concerned that top unis will look down on me for resitting the year purely for a subject change (not for specific circumstances or low grades). I am looking to apply for Oxbridge and a couple of the London unis, and have heard they prefer a levels to be completed over 2 years, not 3 (or this might just be for medicine, of which I am not looking to apply for).

if u wanna self study it depends on how much you actually wanna do this course, depends on what type of course you want to do at uni aswell. geography is not the easiest but you are doing pretty well in it so like if doing bio sounds like a stretch for you but you keep regretting not doing it, just know that at least youre doing something youre really good at, but maths geo and psych look like a pretty nice combo and switching geo for bio wont really make univerisities look at you any different given the course u wanna do isnt like bio focused yk
have you tried attending biology related taster days yet instead ? That might help you make the decision to know if you would want a future career in it
For example, Leicester University have a lot of free stem, maths and healthcare-related taster days which would be relevant to your personal statement. Learning all of biology might be quite difficult. What about doing a 2-year degree in biomedical science or doing a combined honours where you can explore 2 subjects at university at once?

Quick Reply

Latest