The Student Room Group

How lenient is Cardiff university architecture department?

Hi guys, I've firmed Cardiff for architecture and am currently sitting alevels. I'm predicted AAB with A* epq. I recently got my art grade back and i may be looking at an A*, as for maths and physics I'm worried that I won't reach the AB that i need, in case i remain at an A with art. I will definitely get at least an A in art and my epq, but I'm worried that i might only scrape a B in maths and physics, maybe even lower in physics.. I'm doing all i can but im just very concerned and idk exactly how lenient the architecture school at Cardiff is. If anyone can help me, I'll appreciate it
Original post by Katia.123
Hi guys, I've firmed Cardiff for architecture and am currently sitting alevels. I'm predicted AAB with A* epq. I recently got my art grade back and i may be looking at an A*, as for maths and physics I'm worried that I won't reach the AB that i need, in case i remain at an A with art. I will definitely get at least an A in art and my epq, but I'm worried that i might only scrape a B in maths and physics, maybe even lower in physics.. I'm doing all i can but im just very concerned and idk exactly how lenient the architecture school at Cardiff is. If anyone can help me, I'll appreciate it

No university or course opts for leniency - although it may be thrust upon them. On A level results day, they confirm the place of all candidates who've met their offer grades. This will be candidates who selected Cardiff as their firm choice and candidates who were not accepted by their firm choice but listed Cardiff as their insurance choice.

They'll then look at whether or not they have any places left on the course. If they don't, then you're out of luck - no leniency. However, if they still have some room on the course, then they'll likely look through their "near miss" candidates to see which of those (if any) they'd like to confirm the place of. Alternatively (or in addition) they might open the course to Clearing and source new candidates to fill the course that way.

Nobody knows how many candidates are going to make their offer grades, so nobody knows whether they'll accept any "near miss" candidates this year. Although the past is not always a good predictor of the future, it can sometimes give us clues. The standard offer for Architecture at Cardiff is AAA. However, this is lowered to AAB for contextual applicants. It's also lowered to AAB for those with a grade A (or above) in their EPQ. It's difficult to estimate how many of their offer-holders are being asked for AAA and how many are being asked for AAB. However, we can see from The Uni Guide (source) that the "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved)" of current students are "Mathematics A Physics B Fine Art A". That would suggest that more people at AAB are accepted than at AAA. However, it doesn't tell us whether they were contextual or EPQ applicants where AAB was their offer, or whether they were "near miss" candidates who'd been asked for AAA.
Original post by DataVenia
No university or course opts for leniency - although it may be thrust upon them. On A level results day, they confirm the place of all candidates who've met their offer grades. This will be candidates who selected Cardiff as their firm choice and candidates who were not accepted by their firm choice but listed Cardiff as their insurance choice.

They'll then look at whether or not they have any places left on the course. If they don't, then you're out of luck - no leniency. However, if they still have some room on the course, then they'll likely look through their "near miss" candidates to see which of those (if any) they'd like to confirm the place of. Alternatively (or in addition) they might open the course to Clearing and source new candidates to fill the course that way.

Nobody knows how many candidates are going to make their offer grades, so nobody knows whether they'll accept any "near miss" candidates this year. Although the past is not always a good predictor of the future, it can sometimes give us clues. The standard offer for Architecture at Cardiff is AAA. However, this is lowered to AAB for contextual applicants. It's also lowered to AAB for those with a grade A (or above) in their EPQ. It's difficult to estimate how many of their offer-holders are being asked for AAA and how many are being asked for AAB. However, we can see from The Uni Guide (source) that the "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved)" of current students are "Mathematics A Physics B Fine Art A". That would suggest that more people at AAB are accepted than at AAA. However, it doesn't tell us whether they were contextual or EPQ applicants where AAB was their offer, or whether they were "near miss" candidates who'd been asked for AAA.

Cardiff was in clearing last year (and I've seen them in others years too). However, I can't recall if they lowered the grade boundaries. There is a list of other unis that were in clearing for architecture last year on the follwing thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending