The Student Room Group

GCSE resits for uni

Hi guys, I am currently doing my a-levels and I'm already thinking of taking a gap year to do maths and further maths in order for me to go to a better uni for a better course. However, I am thinking of resitting a few of my GCSEs as they weren't strong due to the whole thing with covid and TAGs

I got 9876666443 at GCSEs and I'm thinking of retaking business, chem, English lang and literature to get them up to an 8-9 which would give me 999998763

Would retaking GCSEs affect my chance of getting into unis like LSE, UCL etc ?
Original post by rpriv095
Hi guys, I am currently doing my a-levels and I'm already thinking of taking a gap year to do maths and further maths in order for me to go to a better uni for a better course. However, I am thinking of resitting a few of my GCSEs as they weren't strong due to the whole thing with covid and TAGs

I got 9876666443 at GCSEs and I'm thinking of retaking business, chem, English lang and literature to get them up to an 8-9 which would give me 999998763

Would retaking GCSEs affect my chance of getting into unis like LSE, UCL etc ?

Dont bother the only GCSEs worth retaking are English Language and Maths and your grades are very good.

Just a warning that top London universities are very difficult to get into as the competition is insane due to the numbers wanting to study in London.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
Dont bother the only GCSEs worth retaking are English Language and Maths and your grades are very good.

Just a warning that top London universities are very difficult to get into as the competition is insane due to the numbers wanting to study in London.

Oh thank you, its bc of the fact that LSE want a majority 987 and I already got an 8 in maths so its just language. The course I want to do is even more competitive than getting into a top London uni in general and so I thought better GCSEs overall 5 a levels (3 this year, 2 next year) would make my overall application stronger
Original post by rpriv095
Oh thank you, its bc of the fact that LSE want a majority 987 and I already got an 8 in maths so its just language. The course I want to do is even more competitive than getting into a top London uni in general and so I thought better GCSEs overall 5 a levels (3 this year, 2 next year) would make my overall application stronger

Years ago I went with my son to an open day at Durham which is one of the most competitive universities. In reply to a question the admissions tutor said we didnt care whether you have 6 A levels what counts is the quality of the 3 A levels.

As far as LSE is concerned the reality is that if you apply to something like Economics there you are likely to end up being rejected. Loads on here have. It is a risk you take. Top London universities are massively over subscribed because so many want to study there. Personally I wouldnt bother but would investigate regional universities where you stand a better chance of getting and are equally as good. As an admissions tutor often advises on here do not apply to more than 2 top London universities because of the rejection rate. That would include lse, ucl, icl and Kings.and this particulary applies to CS and Economics.
Reply 4
Yep, a lot of people have told me how hard it is to get into economics from the top unis. However, there are some courses which are less competitive such as a joint degree with Econ. But I am still considering as the course I do doesn't really matter as long as its quantitative and from certain unis as these unis will help me get into investment banking as they are called target unis.

Im leaning towards things like data science at lse or a course that is seen in common between LSE, UCL, imperial, Warwick

Thanks for the information tho I will keep it in mind when deciding which unis and the 2 courses are needed for quant subjects at these unis (maths and further maths)

Original post by swanseajack1
Years ago I went with my son to an open day at Durham which is one of the most competitive universities. In reply to a question the admissions tutor said we didnt care whether you have 6 A levels what counts is the quality of the 3 A levels.

As far as LSE is concerned the reality is that if you apply to something like Economics there you are likely to end up being rejected. Loads on here have. It is a risk you take. Top London universities are massively over subscribed because so many want to study there. Personally I wouldnt bother but would investigate regional universities where you stand a better chance of getting and are equally as good. As an admissions tutor often advises on here do not apply to more than 2 top London universities because of the rejection rate. That would include lse, ucl, icl and Kings.and this particulary applies to CS and Economics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending