The Student Room Group

GCSES and medicine

hi,
so to briefly start I received my GCSE results last week and I only took the core subject (English, maths and science) as I wasn't allowed to taking any extra gcse subjects due to missing 3 years off school due to mental health issues. so in total I only have 5 gcse subjects.
these are my grades:
English lit - 6
english lang - 5
maths (higher tier) - 5
combined science (higher tier) - 6-5

now the issue is that Ive always wanted to go into medicine and that's something I still with and hope my future career is. a lot of colleges have declined my request to study biology, chemistry and maths due to my low results however one college has offered for me to study biology, chemistry and psychology alongside core maths (as they are not allowing me to take a level maths.) they said that if I try my hardest with the core maths and prove to my teacher within a months time they will move me to a level maths (so essentially taking all the subjects I want.) now the thing is all the colleges have strongly advised for me not to go into medicine due to my gcses and the lack of them. some colleges say to retake them now and add on more gcses and be a year behind but I thought it would be Better to take the courses this college is offering, work my way up to a level maths and then take a gap year at the end of year 13 and retake and add some gcses on then... do you think this Is a good idea? any advice would be appreciated! also some colleges say that some universities will not accept you if you resit gcses... is this true? and also do you think they will give me lenience due to my mitigating circumstances (also said by one of my college advisors.)
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey there. I'm not going to comment on GCSE requirements as I don't know enough. But being brutally honest, you need to do very well in your A-levels to be considered for Medicine. As it stands, your grades do not reflect someone getting A*s at A-levels. Of course you can work hard and get there, but this is where my advice comes in. Give up on Maths. Biology and Chemistry will be tough enough, and you'll most likely need to retake GCSE Maths to get a 6 anyway. Adding Maths to your A-levels will only make things more difficult, and without sounding too harsh your grade profile hasn't been outstanding thus far - in terms of Medicine grades.

If you have the drive, I 100% believe you will get there. But my advice is not to make that journey even more difficult, especially when most Unis will not have a strict third subject requirement.
I got 4 in English Language
And 6-5 in combined science back in 2019. I didn’t know gcse were important for med, and I had circumstances

I just finished A levels in bio, chem and maths (I got 6 in maths gcse) and I’ve got A*A*A* for these subjects

I’m planning on applying for med so I need to resit my English Language to get that to a 9 (or 6) and I’m doing triple science to get 999

Hopefully it will boost my application. My advice for you would be to resit your English language next year, because most med schools want 6 anyways and possibly retake triple science instead of double
(edited 2 years ago)
You should probably take psychology instead of maths, to make your life easier though.

Some med universities want you to resit English Lang anyways and some gcse

It shows determination
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Kabzzzy
Hey there. I'm not going to comment on GCSE requirements as I don't know enough. But being brutally honest, you need to do very well in your A-levels to be considered for Medicine. As it stands, your grades do not reflect someone getting A*s at A-levels. Of course you can work hard and get there, but this is where my advice comes in. Give up on Maths. Biology and Chemistry will be tough enough, and you'll most likely need to retake GCSE Maths to get a 6 anyway. Adding Maths to your A-levels will only make things more difficult, and without sounding too harsh your grade profile hasn't been outstanding thus far - in terms of Medicine grades.

If you have the drive, I 100% believe you will get there. But my advice is not to make that journey even more difficult, especially when most Unis will not have a strict third subject requirement.

I agree but I thought maths was compulsory or at least an attractive subjects for unis when wanting to apply for medical schools. also in regards to my gcse profile I completely understand how it doesn't look that great but i would like to point out that I completely missed 3 years of secondary school (yr 8, 9 and 10) but in yr 11 I decided to get my ass in gear. this is without any classroom teaching, independent studying and trying to manage my mental health issues. would you reccomend retaking all gcses alongside some extra ones e.g history, sociology to make my profile look better at the end of yr 13?
Original post by pink giraffe28
I agree but I thought maths was compulsory or at least an attractive subjects for unis when wanting to apply for medical schools. also in regards to my gcse profile I completely understand how it doesn't look that great but i would like to point out that I completely missed 3 years of secondary school (yr 8, 9 and 10) but in yr 11 I decided to get my ass in gear. this is without any classroom teaching, independent studying and trying to manage my mental health issues. would you reccomend retaking all gcses alongside some extra ones e.g history, sociology to make my profile look better at the end of yr 13?

Most medical schools require chemistry and biology. Only Cambridge requires 3 out of maths and science. You could resit your gcse’s but it would be hard to balance that with A-levels. Getting a high UCAT score will allow you to apply strategically to universities with a lower weighing on GCSE’s.
Original post by AKA NO LIMITS
I got 4 in English Language
And 6-5 in combined science back in 2019. I didn’t know gcse were important for med, and I had circumstances

I just finished A levels in bio, chem and maths (I got 6 in maths gcse) and I’ve got A*A*A* for these subjects

I’m planning on applying for med so I need to resit my English Language to get that to a 9 (or 6) and I’m doing triple science to get 999

Hopefully it will boost my application. My advice for you would be to resit your English language next year, because most med schools want 6 anyways and possibly retake triple science instead of double

I was thinking of taking them at the end of yr 13 on a gap year but do you reccomened taking them as soon as possible? also do you recommend adding extra gcses such as history, sociology, health and social studies etc?
I’d suggest dropping core maths for psychology and resitting gcse maths and English lang instead
Original post by hungrysalamander
Most medical schools require chemistry and biology. Only Cambridge requires 3 out of maths and science. You could resit your gcse’s but it would be hard to balance that with A-levels. Getting a high UCAT score will allow you to apply strategically to universities with a lower weighing on GCSE’s.

so in other words, a high UCAT score is more important than GCSES regardless of the grades. also I was thinking of taking my gcses at the end of year 13 so I wouldn't have the stress of a levels anymore
I was thinking of taking them at the end of yr 13 on a gap year but do you reccomened taking them as soon as possible? also do you recommend adding extra gcses such as history, sociology, health and social studies etc?

Just take them before A levels imo. That’s what I wish I did, and now I’m stuck resitting gcse. Benefit of that is it’s easier though so it’s up to you. When your 18 and seeing everyone go to uni, it really hurts. what you need to resit is English Language mainly and probably your sciences.

Most Med unis want above 6-5 in science
(edited 2 years ago)
Just take them before A levels imo. That’s what I wish I did, and now I’m stuck resitting gcse. Benefit if that is it’s easier though so it’s up to you. When your 18 and seeing everyone go to uni, it really hurts. what you need to resit is English Language mainly and probably your sciences.

Most Med unis want above 6-5 in science

so the resit for gcses is this November but do you recommend taking just the core subjects (English, maths and science) by themselves or adding some on?
so in other words, a high UCAT score is more important than GCSES regardless of the grades. also I was thinking of taking my gcses at the end of year 13 so I wouldn't have the stress of a levels anymore

Kind of. I meant each medical school use the ucat and gcse’s differently. For example, Newcastle has a high UCAT cutoff but doesn’t look at GCSE’s but Cardiff has a high weighing on GCSE’s but only use the UCAT if applicants score similarly in the interview. Getting a good UCAT score will open up more options for you to apply with your strengths.
so the resit for gcses is this November but do you recommend taking just the core subjects (English, maths and science) by themselves or adding some on?

I’d leave the rest out.

Just revise for triple science and try getting 6 or above in all three. Sit exams next summer as a resit applicant (that’s what I’m doing)

Then sit GCSE English Language so revise for it now. And sit it in either November or next summer.

Then get your grades and apply to A level

How many GCSE’s do you have? Most medical schools need a 6 in maths and English lang gcse but you don’t need 20 GCSE’s to apply to medical school.
Btw getting a high UCAT score is not easy.
Original post by hungrysalamander
How many GCSE’s do you have? Most medical schools need a 6 in maths and English lang gcse but you don’t need 20 GCSE’s to apply to medical school.

I have 5 gcses the core ones
Or you could just resit combined if it’s easier. Since it’s still fresh in your memory. To get 6-6 at least

And then resit English Language and maths to get 6 or above.
(edited 2 years ago)
I have 5 gcses the core ones

You should probably take more then to get at least 7 or 8
You should probably take more then to get at least 7 or 8

I think my plan would be to resit triple science, maths, English and take another extra gcse so that would give me 7 gcses at a higher grade as im aiming for A's or A*
(edited 2 years ago)
I think my plan would be to resit triple science, maths, English and take another extra gcse so that would give me 7 gcses at a higher grade as im aiming for A's or A*

You think you’ll get good on triple? You sure? It’s quite a leap from double. I mean I got A*’s at a level but I didn’t really try at gcse. You do have similar circumstances so you can go for it if you want
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest