The Student Room Group

child benefit

can my parents still receive child benefit if I am going on deferred entry for 2024 instead of going to university in 2023
Reply 1
How old are you?
What are you doing in the deferred year?
18 now and in the deferred year I am just working to make some money and have some money saved up for when I move out for university
Reply 3
Child Benefit would be paid to them if you are classed as a qualifying young person. That means that you are under 20 and in full-time non-advanced (includes A level but is not degree level) education or approved unwaged training.

When you leave non-advanced education they can continue to get Child Benefit for you until the first Sunday on or after what HMRC call the terminal date. This is the first date of the following dates after your non-advanced education ends: the last day in February, May, August or November.

I am guessing here that in your case Child Benefit should end around the end of August. If your non-advanced education has finished and you are working in employment next year, they shouldn't be entitled to Child Benefit for you next year.
Hope this helps.
(edited 10 months ago)
i appreciate that thank you very much for your help, i'll let my parents know. have a good day

Original post by Cote1
Child Benefit would be paid to them if you are classed as a qualifying young person. That means that you are under 20 and in full-time non-advanced (includes A level but is not degree level) education or approved unwaged training.

When you leave non-advanced education they can continue to get Child Benefit for you until the first Sunday on or after what HMRC call the terminal date. This is the first date of the following dates after your non-advanced education ends: the last day in February, May, August or November.

I am guessing here that in your case Child Benefit should end around the end of August. If your non-advanced education has finished and you are working in employment next year, they shouldn't be entitled to Child Benefit for you next year.
Hope this helps.
Reply 5
Good luck next year and with university in 2024.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending