The Student Room Group

Would you start a fight over someone who elbowed you?

I was out to meet someone today in the noon and i was walking on a very crowded street. Naturally i dont want to be late so i walked very quickly. I saw a small gap between two people and tried to squeeze myself in and then he elbowed me, very roughly and i knock over the other poor girl. No one fell down but it was quite a nudge.

He walk away while i was apologising to the girl.

I saw very clearly his elbow action, it was very likely deliberate.

I didnt go after him because i had to make the meeting. The more i think about it now the more i felt like i have let one ******* get away without consequences, i should have punch him over that. Even tho i actually dont know how to fight..

Would you have started a fight over that?
If you did, who would be in the wrong if this goes to the court?
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by HucktheForde
I was out to meet someone today in the noon and i was walking on a very crowded street. Naturally i dont want to be late so i walked very quickly. I saw a small gap between two people and tried to squeeze myself in and then he elbowed me, very roughly and i knock over the other poor girl. No one fell down but it was quite a nudge.

I saw very clearly and elbow action, it was very likely deliberate.

I didnt go after him because i had to make the meeting. The more i think about it now the more i felt like i have let one ******* get away without consequences, i should have punch him over that. Even tho i actually dont know how to fight..

Generally speaking, it's whoever instigates the fight (throws the first punch) who's considered to be in the wrong, as the other party can always claim self-defense. In this scenario the guy who elbowed you could always claim it was accidental, as you were trying to squeeze through the small gap between him and the girl.

Had you thrown a punch, it could have ended badly. Not only because you would have been deemed to have been the instigator of the fight, but also because, as you say, you "actually dont know how to fight". You did the right thing by walking away.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Generally speaking, it's whoever instigates the fight (throws the first punch) who's considered to be in the wrong, as the other party can always claim self-defense. In this scenario the guy who elbowed you could always claim it was accidental, as you were trying to squeeze through the small gap between him and the girl.

Had you thrown a punch, it could have ended badly. Not only because you would have been deemed to have been the instigator of the fight, but also because, as you say, you "actually dont know how to fight". You did the right thing by walking away.

theres no way in hell its accidental

Lifting your elbow to the chest level and then swinging it is not a natural action
Reply 3
Maybe. On my best day, no. But it could happen.

If the gap was small you should've excused yourself and avoided it all.

Lifting your elbow to the chest level and then swinging it is not a natural action

I didn't say it was accidental. I said "the guy who elbowed you could always claim it was accidental". Unless there was CCTV, at the right angle, it would most likely be a case of your word against his. (His action would be hidden from one side by his own body and by the other side by the girl.) Whereas if you'd turned around a punched him in the face, there would likely be several eye-witnesses who would happily confirm that you threw the first punch.
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
I didn't say it was accidental. I said "the guy who elbowed you could always claim it was accidental". Unless there was CCTV, at the right angle, it would most likely be a case of your word against his. (His action would be hidden from one side by his own body and by the other side by the girl.) Whereas if you'd turned around a punched him in the face, there would likely be several eye-witnesses who would happily confirm that you threw the first punch.

so what would you do if this happened to you?

All he would have to do is establish doubt it was deliberate * shrug* Just wondering, but from the way you describe it, it kinda sounds like you barged past and might have caused some alarm or annoyance, not saying it's ok to purposefully elbow you but you possibly didn't approach this in the best way, literally.
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
Maybe. On my best day, no. But it could happen.

If the gap was small you should've excused yourself and avoided it all.

i know i was being impatient trying to get through the crowd like that but an elbow strike?? he could have verbally told me off and i would apologise.
Reply 8
i know i was being impatient trying to get through the crowd like that but an elbow strike?? he could have verbally told me off and i would apologise.

dunno, seems pretty minor to me on the whole. Yeah it'd annoy me if someone did it to me but I suppose I'd not be barging past them in the first place.
so what would you do if this happened to you?

It's difficult to say. I suspect I would have shouted some sort of obscenity at him ("What d'ya think you're playing at, ********") and then just stood my ground, without approaching him. Beyond that it would very much depend on how he reacted.
he could have verbally told me off and i would apologise.

He could also strike you with his elbow, we don't really get to chose other peoples reactions.
Reply 11
He shouldn't have elbowed you.
You did the right thing by walking away.
Best to avoid a fight if you can. Pick them wisely.

I saw very clearly his elbow action, it was very likely deliberate.

Hello. I used to do spinjitsu when I was 5 so while I may have forgotten the techniques themselves I like to think I can still hold my own in a fight. If someone had elbowed me like that in the street, even if it was an accident, I would personally have spun their jaw (even if it was a woman). If you let people walk all over you, you won't get anywhere in life. Message me if you want fighting advice, hope this helps.
I cannot physically fight bc I’m awful at it, but I would confront him in public as soon as he does it and if he argues, then argue back. If he tries to hurt you again, then don’t react and let the public witnesses around u say what they saw, if it goes to court.
Nah I wouldn’t have started a fight with them, at least not a physical one anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending