The Student Room Group

Doing an extra A Level after college

If I did 3 A Levels at college normally but then realised there was a subject requirement I wasn't meeting for a course I wanna get into, and decide to take a gap year to sit that extra A Level (not a resit, but an extra subject), what would the pros and cons be of this situation? Would this approach make me less likely to get into university?
Original post by abbie_i_f
If I did 3 A Levels at college normally but then realised there was a subject requirement I wasn't meeting for a course I wanna get into, and decide to take a gap year to sit that extra A Level (not a resit, but an extra subject), what would the pros and cons be of this situation? Would this approach make me less likely to get into university?

Hello.

Usually getting another full A level would require an extra 2 years I believe?

Overall, it would not infringe on your ability to get into any University at all, as you'd have a set of qualifications already that either meet or do not meet the grade entry criteria. Thereby you can either get a direct yes or no answer to being given an unconditional offer or not.

Another thing I would suggest if looking into if you are staying on at an institution to get extra qualifications, can you get funded for just taking 1? Or would you have to take 3 altogether to get full funding?

Lastly, you need to ascertain if staying in something like a sixth form environment is for you until you are potentially 19-20 years of age (remember if you do additional qualifications you will start as an 18-19 year old in your 3rd year, and be in a class with a bunch of 16-17 year olds fresh out of secondary school).

These are all things to consider. I hope that this answer helped.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by abbie_i_f

You can sit exams as a Private Candidate with any exam board with Campbell Harris except IALs and CAIE and they have a lot of mature student candidates in their 20s, 30s and even 40s.

I wonder which A-Level subject you want to study? Some A-Levels like Economics and Psychology can be completed in 3 months and 3 months of revision i.e. 6 months.

https://www.campbellharris.co.uk/how-to-register

The exams take place at:

St Mary Abbots Centre
Vicarage Gate
London W8 4HN

This venue is approximately 10 minutes’ walk from Campbell Harris (off Kensington Church Street).

A Level
£350 for full A Level.
Foreign language speaking exam: £170 supplement.

Quick Reply

Latest