The Student Room Group

One year for college

Hello! I am 18 and I am funded for another year, I wanna retake my alevels as a private candidate but need to be in full time education. Should I just go to a college and redo one of my a levels there or just do some random btec, or maybe an extra a level for a one year intense course or maybe an access course? I want to make most of my year which will be best?
Original post by euwni
Hello! I am 18 and I am funded for another year, I wanna retake my alevels as a private candidate but need to be in full time education. Should I just go to a college and redo one of my a levels there or just do some random btec, or maybe an extra a level for a one year intense course or maybe an access course? I want to make most of my year which will be best?

The question I would have is why do you want to spend another year in college?
If you want to improve your prospects to get into uni, I would focus on A Levels, since they're more univerally accepted.
If you want to do another course at college before heading to uni/work, then it depends on what you want to do after college.
It would also depend on the entry requirements of the thing that you want to do after college.

If the degree course accepts other qualifications such as BTEC or Access, then maybe, even though A Levels are still preferred.
If the degree course doesn't accept other qualifcations, it makes no sense to do BTEC or Access. Instead, focus on A Levels and what you specifically need.

How you should make the most of your year will depend on your specific situation. If you meet all the requirements that you need to meet (for even the most demanding of courses and jobs), then whatever else you want to do is up to you. I do have a list of ideas for gap years, but it depends whether you will have time for them.
General rule of thumb is to do relevant work experience alongside your studies where possible. I don't know how many hours would constitute "full time education" for you (usually 35+ including private study), but if you have time on the side to spice up your CV or personal statement, it would be time well spent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending