The Student Room Group

University assignments

Hi,

I am in second year and I have had to do over 4 assignments for my last assignments of the year and I have only done 1. Due to bad depression and mental illness, I need help can anyone help me?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I am in second year and I have had to do over 4 assignments for my last assignments of the year and I have only done 1. Due to bad depression and mental illness, I need help can anyone help me?

Hey,

I'm so sorry to hear you've been struggling. Please know you're not on your own - university can be really difficult, especially if you've been having a hard time personally. I would really recommend reaching out to your university support teams - they are usually a different team to your academic lecturers, so if you're nervous about speaking to them it typically (at most universities) won't be the same people. They might be called something like the wellbeing and student support team, or the student advice team - I'd have a look on your university website to find their details. They will be able to give you university/course specific advice about what you can do going forward and what options you might have, and are usually really lovely people who will want to make sure you've got the best chance going forwards.

If you feel comfortable speaking to your lecturers who set the assignments sometimes that can be worthwhile, however I appreciate that can sometimes feel a little daunting! It might also be worth speaking with your students union after hearing about your options for continuing study (if thats the goal! If not, or if you want a break from studying for a short while that's obviously equally valid too) - they can provide independent, impartial advice to students.

There's also absolutely no shame in pausing your studies for a while - most universities will offer something called interruptions, which basically means you put your studies on hold for a year. It can really help give you some time and space to work out what you want to do, and give you time to look after yourself without the added pressure of university.

I hope that helps - I really hope you're doing okay, please do make sure to reach out to people if you need it!
All the best,
Becky
University of Salford Rep
Hi,

Hi,
Sorry to hear that you aren't coping well with your final set of assignments. Echoing Becky, you are not the first and indeed not the only student to find themselves in similar situations.
Admitting your struggling is tough but it is a sign that you want to try and it will hopefully allow you to find support and help.
Best advice is to let the university know. They should have services and support that is available to you by means of possibly extensions, study support or other options. Making the university aware will allow them to support you but not engaging with them will leave it appearing as though you just aren't doing the work. If you are not sure who to contact, then it may be easiest to go through a lecturer or tutor.
I really hope that you are able to get some support to allow you to feel better mentally and be able to complete your studies and assignments.
Best wishes - Catherine (University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador)
Hi,

Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear you're going through a difficult time, like others have mentioned university can be a challenging time - trying to get through assignments and exams can be tricky.

Have you spoken to anyone on campus? If you feel comfortable enough you could speak to the relevant lecturers who set the assignments or the module leads. Informing them of your situation may be beneficial as they may be able to support you with deadlines and extra support. They also may be able to advise on extensions and module requirements.
If you don't feel comfortable speaking to your lecturers have you thought about talking to non-academic university staff? For example, your personal tutor or a counselling officer who can provide talking therapy or someone who can provide a mental health/wellbeing appointment. They may be able to help support you when it comes to speaking about how you feel as well as help you communicate with the relevant staff and juggle deadlines.

In terms of deadlines have you thought about asking for an extension or applying for extenuating circumstances? It may help to explain to your university about what you've been going through, and if they accept your extension or extenuating circumstance application this may help you with completing the assignments with a fresher mind and with less stress.

If you feel you are not able to speak to someone at university have you spoken to someone outside of university for example, your doctor. You may be able to speak to them about how you are feeling and perhaps ask them to provide evidence to help with requesting an extension.

I hope this has been of some help!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions :smile:
Aaliya ~ 4th year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield
Reply 4
It's not about feeling comfortable. You must tackle this whether you are comfortable or not. Some stuff in life is hard and you have to do stuff you don't want to - this is one such time. I'm not saying this to be hard on you - it's really important that you protect your own interests here, even when it's difficult. The University can't help you if they don't know about it.

Speak to a doctor, then take a note to your student support/mit circs team. Use your personal tutor/academic advisor to direct you to the right people if you don't know who they are. (A slight correction to the user above - the vast majority of PT/AAs are academic staff.)

Mit circs for stuff like this are granted all the time. Protect yourself and give yourself the best chance, and do it ASAP. Get a mate to go with you if you feel like you can't manage alone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending