The Student Room Group
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website

Considering Children's Nursing But Have a Physical Disability

Hi
I have cerebral palsy which affects only my lower extremities so I use walking sticks to get around but any other task is fine to do. I am currently heading into Year 12 in September and I have been wanting to become a nurse since Year 10 because I have had many surgeries abroad and the nursing side of things was really interesting. Would my disability stop me?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi
I have cerebral palsy which affects only my lower extremities so I use walking sticks to get around but any other task is fine to do. I am currently heading into Year 12 in September and I have been wanting to become a nurse since Year 10 because I have had many surgeries abroad and the nursing side of things was really interesting. Would my disability stop me?

Hi,

I don't see why it should stop you it is more the fact that some things may be more difficult / take more time to do. From what I can see online there are mixed things on this some say that it isn't possible and that looking into a different career path is a better option. However, others mentioned about talking with your doctor and see what they say on whether being a children's nurse would be a possible option for you. But there is a lot of information about people who have cerebral palsy and have still become doctors so I would say keep going for your dream and hopefully it will be possible.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions!:smile:

Rebecca
2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website
Reply 2
Do you know whether Edge Hill accepts nursing students that have a physical disability?
Reply 3
I know it's early on and I could change my mind by next year but I'm thinking Edge Hill University, Coventry University, University of South Wales and University of Cumbria. I'm kind of really set on this career already.
Original post by Anonymous
Do you know whether Edge Hill accepts nursing students that have a physical disability?

Hey!

It's great to hear you are considering studying your degree at Edge Hill :smile:

You will definitely be able to study nursing at Edge Hill even though you have a disability!

Nicole
First Year law student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending