The Student Room Group
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website

Maths stand alone test

Has anybody done the maths equivalent test at edge hill? I kept failing functional skills level 2 at college and few ppl advised me to do the stand-alone test as it’s much easier, so I’ve booked it next week but I really need to pass to start my course in September! Is it easy and do-able?
Original post by Lauziee1988
Has anybody done the maths equivalent test at edge hill? I kept failing functional skills level 2 at college and few ppl advised me to do the stand-alone test as it’s much easier, so I’ve booked it next week but I really need to pass to start my course in September! Is it easy and do-able?

Hi @Lauziee1988

My flatmate did the stand alone maths equivalent test at Edge Hill and is now finished her course in Nursing which she otherwise would not have been able to do. She was so happy with her experience, as she especially struggled with Maths GCSE and she managed to pass the equivalency test. Of course the test is equivalent to GCSE Maths so it's not that the test will be easy but I am sure you can do it. You should also have received a revision pack when you signed up to the test so hopefully this will help you to feel prepared.

Of course do your best, but if you are unsuccessful you will have also have the opportunity to re-sit the test again twice with no extra cost. If you have any questions about equivalency tests, you can call 01695 657148 or email [email protected].

Good luck for your test! :smile:

Katie - Second year Educational Psychology student
(edited 8 months ago)
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hi @Lauziee1988

My flatmate did the stand alone maths equivalent test at Edge Hill and is now finished her course in Nursing which she otherwise would not have been able to do. She was so happy with her experience, as she especially struggled with Maths GCSE and she managed to pass the equivalency test. Of course the test is equivalent to GCSE Maths so it's not that the test will be easy but I am sure you can do it. You should also have received a revision pack when you signed up to the test so hopefully this will help you to feel prepared.

Of course do your best, but if you are unsuccessful you will have also have the opportunity to re-sit the test again twice with no extra cost. If you have any questions about equivalency tests, you can call 01695 657148 or email [email protected].

Good luck for your test! :smile:

Thanks for replying, yes I got the revision park which I’ve been doing and I mostly know it due to studying the majority of it in my functional skills level 2 however I’m just really nervous as eager to start the course
Please do post your findings on this. I am also in the same boat. I just can’t seem to pass level 2 functional skills math. And this is also my first time hearing about stand alone maths
Original post by Lauziee1988
Thanks for replying, yes I got the revision park which I’ve been doing and I mostly know it due to studying the majority of it in my functional skills level 2 however I’m just really nervous as eager to start the course

Hi @Lauziee1988

No problem at all, I am sure you will do so well and as I mentioned if you don't manage to pass first time you can always retake the test :smile:

If you want to chat to a current Edge Hill student you can contact students on the Ambassador Platform.

Good luck with the test,

Reply 5
I have just sat the test on the 9th of November and passed. They were trying a new thing which was a free lesson for 2 hours for nursing students. We went through things we were finding hard. We were also given a mock exam paper by Edge Hill Uni. I can not sing their praise enough for the support I received from the staff. Would highly recommend it. I also sat the English equivalency and passed it. Highly recommend them, they are so helpful and friendly. I passed both on my second attempt.
Good luck to anyone taking these exams. I am sure you will do brilliantly 🫶
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Lindsey Lu
I have just sat the test on the 9th of November and passed. They were trying a new thing which was a free lesson for 2 hours for nursing students. We went through things we were finding hard. We were also given a mock exam paper by Edge Hill Uni. I can not sing their praise enough for the support I received from the staff. Would highly recommend it. I also sat the English equivalency and passed it. Highly recommend them, they are so helpful and friendly. I passed both on my second attempt.

Hi - sorry is Edge Hill a physical location or a remote course? I’m really struggling locally to me and so am looking online.
Reply 7

Hi Lindsay, do you have any details for the free lessons for nursing students? I'm hoping to get a place on the degree course in September, but first I'm hoping to get a place on the fastrack course. I'm not too sure if I need to have passed the maths and English prior to starting the course? I'm currently studying for maths and English functional skills level 2. I've passed the speaking and listening part of English. I'm hoping to sit the reading and writing parts very soon. It's the maths that I'm struggling with. I'd really appreciate any information on the free maths lessons. Thank you 😊

Hiya,

Thank you for the positive feedback! I am so glad that you benefited from the support Edge Hill has in place and have had a positive experience! : )

Well done for passing the tests!

Katie - Third year Psychology student
Original post by Petal75!
Hi Lindsay, do you have any details for the free lessons for nursing students? I'm hoping to get a place on the degree course in September, but first I'm hoping to get a place on the fastrack course. I'm not too sure if I need to have passed the maths and English prior to starting the course? I'm currently studying for maths and English functional skills level 2. I've passed the speaking and listening part of English. I'm hoping to sit the reading and writing parts very soon. It's the maths that I'm struggling with. I'd really appreciate any information on the free maths lessons. Thank you 😊

Hi @Petal75!

The fastrack course is a great option! In terms of whether you need to have passed your Maths and English before starting the course, here is the information about the fastrack course, and if you select entry criteria, you will be able to see in more details the requirements.

In the requirements it states that you will need to demonstrate competency in written English which can either be through GCSE English or Level 2 Literacy or equivalent before the interview.

If you'd like to you can chat to a member of the Course Enquires team on (+44) 01695 657000 to discuss your options and confirm what you will need to meet the entry requirements.

I hope this helps,
Good luck!
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi - sorry is Edge Hill a physical location or a remote course? I’m really struggling locally to me and so am looking online.

Hiya,

The equivalency tests are exams are sat on Edge Hill University campus which is based in Ormskirk. The tutor-led revision courses can be held online but the actual exam is on campus. So it would be required that you travel to Edge Hill campus for the test. Here is some more information on the equivalency tests.

If you have any other questions you can get in touch on 01695 657148 or email [email protected].

I hope this helps,
Original post by Anonymous #3

Hiya,

The equivalency tests are exams are sat on Edge Hill University campus which is based in Ormskirk. The tutor-led revision courses can be held online but the actual exam is on campus. So it would be required that you travel to Edge Hill campus for the test. Here is some more information on the equivalency tests.

If you have any other questions you can get in touch on 01695 657148 or email [email protected].

I hope this helps,

Wow this sounds like a great idea - is anyone aware of anything similar in England?
Original post by Seeseeseeagain
Wow this sounds like a great idea - is anyone aware of anything similar in England?

Hello,

Edge Hill University is located in England in Ormskirk which is a small town located between Liverpool and Southport. Here is some more information about where Edge Hill is and how to get there if you're interested : )

I hope this is helpful!
Original post by EdgeHillStudents

Hello,

Edge Hill University is located in England in Ormskirk which is a small town located between Liverpool and Southport. Here is some more information about where Edge Hill is and how to get there if you're interested : )

I hope this is helpful!

Oh my excuse me - I thought Ormskirk was in Scotland! How embarrassing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending