The Student Room Group

Losing weight by exercising and caloric deficit as teem

Hi I am a 14 year old male who is 85kg and 175cm/5’8. I am very obese for my age but I also acknowledge the fact that I am carrying a lot of muscle underneath. I want to lose weight as google says my maintence is 2700 ish calories(approx). Would it be fine if I at from 2000-2400 Calories a day with enough protein per kg BW and other things like nutrients etc.the reason I ask this are people online are saying that I will stunt my growth by cutting calories. But I don’t want to wait to lose weight as it is an issue affecting me everyday.Also at the same time I don’t want to stunt my growth at my dad is 6 foot 2 meaning I may possibly have good genetics (my mum is 5 foot 5 though😬)

Finally to summarise my main question is will normally eating my 3 main meals a day with appropriate servings and good nutrients like protein aiming for a calories goal of 2000-2400 around nearly 500 calories under maintenance calories- Will this in my teenage years stunt my growth and development (heightwise etc)

I might try talking with a dietician although my mum is saying it is not needed as long as I can focus on getting 3 good meals in a day it’s just these underlying problems which bother me like apparently I’m going to lose muscle and stuff like that . Would a dietician help?

Thanks for listening all help would be appreciated. Sorry if I blabbered for long just been on my mind for long and I’m motivated to make a change

Ps-To add last year I was 96kg so I have lost 10 kilograms but I was mostly eating under 2000 calories and doing cardio like my swimming sessions and karate sessions but when doing this period of weight loss I didn’t feel drained and felt normal so I wouldn’t mind doing it again as it gave me good results in weight loss - the only problem being apparently that is very bad for me.
Reply 1
First of all, I want to commend you for your determination and motivation to make positive changes in your life. It's great to hear that you've already made progress in losing weight, and I understand that you're eager to continue your journey towards a healthier lifestyle.

I completely understand your concerns about calorie restriction potentially affecting your growth and overall development during your teenage years. It's important to strike a balance between achieving your weight loss goals and ensuring your body gets the nutrition it needs for growth and development, especially during this crucial stage of life.

Consulting with a dietician is an excellent idea. They can provide you with personalized guidance and create a meal plan tailored to your specific needs. They'll consider factors like your age, activity level, and weight loss goals to ensure you're getting the right nutrients.

Regarding your calorie intake, aiming for 2000-2400 calories a day sounds reasonable, but it's essential to make sure you're getting those calories from balanced sources. Prioritize whole foods, lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains to ensure you're meeting your nutritional needs. Protein is indeed important, as it supports muscle growth and repair, so keep focusing on that.

Weight loss based on factors like your metabolism and activity level. You can estimate it using a TDEE calculator. These type of tool in my opinion can make your journey more smoother. I also used this in achieving my weight loss goals. I can give you a rough guide for your help. First, find your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE). Then, create a calorie deficit by consuming fewer calories than your TDEE. A common goal is a 2000 to 2500 calorie deficit per day, which can lead to a safe and steady weight loss of pounds weekly. Remember, gradual changes are healthier and more sustainable.
I am pretty positive that you can achieve your weight loss goal. FIGHTING!
Reply 2
Original post by marie33
First of all, I want to commend you for your determination and motivation to make positive changes in your life. It's great to hear that you've already made progress in losing weight, and I understand that you're eager to continue your journey towards a healthier lifestyle.

I completely understand your concerns about calorie restriction potentially affecting your growth and overall development during your teenage years. It's important to strike a balance between achieving your weight loss goals and ensuring your body gets the nutrition it needs for growth and development, especially during this crucial stage of life.

Consulting with a dietician is an excellent idea. They can provide you with personalized guidance and create a meal plan tailored to your specific needs. They'll consider factors like your age, activity level, and weight loss goals to ensure you're getting the right nutrients.

Regarding your calorie intake, aiming for 2000-2400 calories a day sounds reasonable, but it's essential to make sure you're getting those calories from balanced sources. Prioritize whole foods, lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains to ensure you're meeting your nutritional needs. Protein is indeed important, as it supports muscle growth and repair, so keep focusing on that.

Weight loss based on factors like your metabolism and activity level. You can estimate it using a TDEE calculator. These type of tool in my opinion can make your journey more smoother. I also used this in achieving my weight loss goals. I can give you a rough guide for your help. First, find your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE). Then, create a calorie deficit by consuming fewer calories than your TDEE. A common goal is a 2000 to 2500 calorie deficit per day, which can lead to a safe and steady weight loss of pounds weekly. Remember, gradual changes are healthier and more sustainable.
I am pretty positive that you can achieve your weight loss goal. FIGHTING!

you have explain very good ...

Quick Reply

Latest