The Student Room Group

How should I go about clearing?

Hello! I want to do computer science for university.

Due to certain qualifications i've got I'm restricted. I wasn't able to do A-Level maths, and I wasn't able to get a 6 in GCSE Maths as I was stuck in foundation. A lot of top universities ask for either of these or both.
I originally applied for Software Engineering courses rather than computer science so I restricted myself further, only for a couple months after I applied to realise I want to do Computer Science. Luckily, my firm choice, University of Leicester allowed me to change from SE to CS.

However, I'm happy with my offer to Leicester but I feel I could aim higher for a top university. Some universities like Liverpool and Nottingham I feel I could aim for as I do meet the GCSE requirements and their subject. I heard that Clearing opens 5th July and I'm not sure how to go about it.

Should I wait for my results first or should I try contact them ahead of time? I'm not sure how contacting ahead of time would go since I don't have my grades, but I'm also not sure if waiting for results is the best option since there will probably be a huge rush of people doing the same thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Komodo772

Due to certain qualifications i've got I'm restricted. I wasn't able to do A-Level maths, and I wasn't able to get a 6 in GCSE Maths as I was stuck in foundation. A lot of top universities ask for either of these or both.
I originally applied for Software Engineering courses rather than computer science so I restricted myself further, only for a couple months after I applied to realise I want to do Computer Science. Luckily, my firm choice, University of Leicester allowed me to change from SE to CS.

However, I'm happy with my offer to Leicester but I feel I could aim higher for a top university. Some universities like Liverpool and Nottingham I feel I could aim for as I do meet the GCSE requirements and their subject. I heard that Clearing opens 5th July and I'm not sure how to go about it.

Should I wait for my results first or should I try contact them ahead of time? I'm not sure how contacting ahead of time would go since I don't have my grades, but I'm also not sure if waiting for results is the best option since there will probably be a huge rush of people doing the same thing.

I don't think you're able to apply for universities through clearing before results day.

I found this info here so you can read it yourself cause I might be tweaking: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice/clearing-results-day/ucas-clearing-what-you-might-not-know

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, I feel as though A level maths should at the least be open to everyone since maths is such a useful subject to take (maybe not FM, as it's harder and would be way too much hassle for someone that doesn't enjoy the subject at least). Leicester is by no means a bad uni and computer scientists are in their highest demand ever, so I'm certain that going there would net you a good job regardless. Universities generally post clearing openings on UCAS. What's up for clearing or not will change on results days (IB results day, A level results day etc.), as clearing is often for subjects that didn't get their spaces filled or subjects that have an underfund of students due to more students missing their offers than expected. Contacting a Uni ahead of results day would probably not help, as no one can guarantee of there will be a clearing opening, and if they could pull some strings BEFORE clearing then tons of students would end up calling asking for a reserved spot in clearing, but only some of these students may end up using the reserved spots - which would result in the university reserving spots for people who aren't using it.

I'm speaking a bit too much already, but I think you should just wait. Nottingham in particular normally has a surplus of applicants as one of, if not the best uni in the UK for compSci that doesn't require an A level maths/equivalent qualification. I wouldn't get my hopes up for Nottingham, but a better uni is probably possible on results day.
Reply 2
You can only apply through Clearing once you know your results.

And its a bit pointless asking Unis now 'what will be in Clearing' as they wont have any real idea until A level results are released and they can see what spaces, if any, they have.

Like everyone else, you will just have to be patient and wait for August - try to stop worrying.

Hi there,

So you are best to wait until you get your results to apply for Clearing. there are a number of reasons, since then you have the grades to know where you can apply to and meet. Some Universities do open Clearing early, but my understanding is that this is for those who already have got their grades (i.e. from the year before).

It's great also hear that you are considering applying to Liverpool, let me know if you have any questions about the University or the city!

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Hi!

I went through clearing last year, so I understand how stressful it can be. For me though it really did work out amazingly, so I hope I can help that happen for you too!

My top tips would be to make a list of your must have's for a uni ie, your exact course, or they allow you to do a year in industry—basically your top two or three most important things. Then write down what you would like but you might change your mind about for the right uni, maybe you don't want to be too far from home or you would prefer a campus uni. Then when it comes to the day and you're all flustered with everything that is going on you won't forget anything.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do now until you have your results but if you feel like you want to be researching you can look at what universities had clearing spaces for what courses last year. This isn't guaranteed at all but if you feel like you can't sit around and wait (like me) then this might put your mind at ease a bit.

If you do call up the universities they won't be able to tell you anything right now sadly as they don't know either. You are right that on the day there will be a lot of people calling up but that's the only option really. I would say on the day find a comfy seat, have a laptop nearby to be looking at the clearing lists and researching universities while you're on hold waiting to talk to someone from the clearing team and be ready to listen to a lot of elevator music :smile:

If you have any more questions feel free to ask and I wish you luck with clearing! :smile:

- Jessica
1st year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending