The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Engineering and Architectural Design in UCL

Hi! I am applying to Engineering and Architectural Design in UCL. I just got my interview scheduled for April 11. I was wondering if someone could tell about what I am going to be asked in the interview? Is it going to be based on my personal statement and porftolio?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi!! I had my interview about two weeks ago. For everyone in my group interviewing (i went to london for mine) they use your portfolio as a conversation starter. They will ask you to show it to them and then they will ask you questions about it like what influenced you etc. Mine was a very art based portfolio, like purely paintings and almost nothing architectural, so the discussion was very theoretical. For other people that had architectural designs in their portfolio the discussion was more practical. They also ask you a couple of standard questions about groupwork for example, or what areas of architecture interest you etc. The interview itself is very short so don't expect to be asked many details.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by blackvoid17
Hi, do you know what would be needed in the portfolio/how much should be included? I haven't taken art for A Level and I feel like my portfolio won't be very strong.

sammeeeeeee, im applying to civil engineering at different unis though idk if my personal statement is up to scratch
Original post by Najy
sammeeeeeee, im applying to civil engineering at different unis though idk if my personal statement is up to scratch

yeeeees!the same question! how can i write a PS including both civil and this one?help!!
You need to look at what aspects of civil engineering courses and the UCL course have in common, and write the similarities into your personal statement. I had this problem and I found you need to look what the courses have in common and how you’ll be a good candidate for this, rather than name dropping each specific course - each uni should read it as if your only applying to that course so you have a to word it in a particular way
Anything new?Like offer,interview?
Reply 6
Hi I just did my interview for this course and I was wondering how long it took for you to get a reply?
Reply 7
Hi! It was a very chill interview, centred around my portfolio. It felt like it was really quick and honestly its nothing to worry about. They didn't ask anything technical other than the pieces from my portfolio. They also seemed really interested in my work outside of school so just be ready to talk about what sets you apart etc. I just got my offer on Monday, all the best!!
Reply 8
Congratulations on your offer!! I also got one for this course a few days ago :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by na777
Hi! It was a very chill interview, centred around my portfolio. It felt like it was really quick and honestly its nothing to worry about. They didn't ask anything technical other than the pieces from my portfolio. They also seemed really interested in my work outside of school so just be ready to talk about what sets you apart etc. I just got my offer on Monday, all the best!!

Thanks this was helpful. What did you talk about for your interests, like hobbies you do? Can I talk about art based hobbies or do they want something unrelated?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
no problem:smile: I would say you should have a mix, maybe more on unrelated hobbies so they can get an idea of you holistically. Good luck and hopefully see u next year!
Reply 11
Original post by esumm
Congratulations on your offer!! I also got one for this course a few days ago :smile:

Thank you!! congrats on yours, are you firming ucl?
Hey, I also got an offer too! They gave me an offer 2 days after the interview which was surprising. Is anyone going to accept their UCL offer and where else did people apply to?
hi, I've got my interview next week, and they said in the email that only 5 minutes would be given for the portfolio, so what were the other 15 minutes based around? Or do they let you speak and then ask questions after? Also, were there any technical questions?
Original post by am241210
hi, I've got my interview next week, and they said in the email that only 5 minutes would be given for the portfolio, so what were the other 15 minutes based around? Or do they let you speak and then ask questions after? Also, were there any technical questions?

They ask you questions about yourself, personal statement, its just a casual conversation. Don't worry about it.
Reply 15
that’s great! i’m accepting ucl and i got into edinburgh, bath and leeds. i’m still waiting for Kings to get back. how about you?
Original post by Mkmkmkvv
They ask you questions about yourself, personal statement, its just a casual conversation. Don't worry about it.

oh cool thanks
Original post by na777
that’s great! i’m accepting ucl and i got into edinburgh, bath and leeds. i’m still waiting for Kings to get back. how about you?

once Bath and Loughborough respond to me, I'm gonna firm UCL. look forward to seeing u there next year
Reply 18
Original post by na777

Hi, I’m applying for this course and wanted to know if your SOP included both architecture and engineering? I’m applying for all other just architecture courses so don’t know how to add engineering to it now
Original post by Anonymous
You need to look at what aspects of civil engineering courses and the UCL course have in common, and write the similarities into your personal statement. I had this problem and I found you need to look what the courses have in common and how you’ll be a good candidate for this, rather than name dropping each specific course - each uni should read it as if your only applying to that course so you have a to word it in a particular way

Hi. I'm an a level student and I haven't done maths for a levels. I was interested in the engineering and architectural design course in UCL, however I'm not sure if most successful applicants for this course do do maths for a levels. Would u happen to know?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending