The Student Room Group

deleted

…. i’
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Even your back up unis - Warwick, Bath etc - are highly regarded unis so choosing any of them after Oxford/ Cambridge would be a safe move. Spend some time to look at the course content and teaching style at each of the uni's you are considering. Thus, if a particular branch of psychology interests you and uni XXX does not major in that then you can rule that uni out.
Original post by spliced
I’m currently in year 12, and so far intend on applying for psych at Cambridge, UCL, and KCL. I was just wondering what other unis would be good for this course to fill my last two options? I realise the ones i’ve mentioned are super super competitive (but as are most for psych!), so are there any ‘safer’ options which have an equally good course? I achieved 88999999999 at GCSE and am predicted A*A*A* (but unfortunately my subjects choices may not be the most competitive but I do meet the requirements). Other unis I’ve looked at are Bristol, bath, warwick, exeter, LSE and St Andrews, but am open to exploring any others- so if anyone has anyone opinions, I would appreciate it :smile:

Another thing is, as of now, I don’t intend on going into clinical psychology (as I feel like a lot of people are set on this route), so i’m not sure if that plays any role deciding/ruling out unis.

All the hotels you are looking at are very competitive and you run the risk of 5 rejections. Just because you have excellent GCSE results and predictions doesnt guarantee you offers and every year students like you end up with nothing. Go for Cambridge and 1 London university not 2 due to risk and 3 out of Bristol, Bath. Warwick and Exeter. Do not add LSE and ST andrews onto Cambridge, UCL and KCL.
Original post by swanseajack1
All the hotels you are looking at ..

Are you in the middle of booking your holidays @swanseajack1 ? :wink:
Original post by spliced
I’m currently in year 12, and so far intend on applying for psych at Cambridge, UCL, and KCL. I was just wondering what other unis would be good for this course to fill my last two options? I realise the ones i’ve mentioned are super super competitive (but as are most for psych!), so are there any ‘safer’ options which have an equally good course? I achieved 88999999999 at GCSE and am predicted A*A*A* (but unfortunately my subjects choices may not be the most competitive but I do meet the requirements). Other unis I’ve looked at are Bristol, bath, warwick, exeter, LSE and St Andrews, but am open to exploring any others- so if anyone has anyone opinions, I would appreciate it :smile:

Another thing is, as of now, I don’t intend on going into clinical psychology (as I feel like a lot of people are set on this route), so i’m not sure if that plays any role deciding/ruling out unis.

Oxbridge and the London unis (UCL, KCL, LSE) are super competitive and you run the risk of five rejections if you spread yourself too thin. Don't forget that just as you have high grades, so does everyone else applying (and this is precisely why it is so competitive!). At such a high level, admissions tend to be really subjective over what kind of student they want which is why a number of people get rejected from these unis even with top grades. Your PS plays more of a role there.

I'd advise you to look at the course modules for each uni you've shortlisted (you mention that you don't want to go into clinical psych) - do your current choices offer modules on those lines? I've heard good things about the psych department at Bath and Exeter - of course, the decision is ultimately yours.

You still have time - do your research, and good luck! :smile:
(Original post by normaw)Are you in the middle of booking your holidays @swanseajack1 ? :wink:

sorry not properly awake
Original post by spliced

Book on and attend open days.

Cambridge is a very different place to live and study than London. Think about the environment and place that YOU will thrive in and then look for universities offering that environment. If you love big city life then Cambridge might not be a good choice and vice versa. You won’t benefit from a degree if you’re miserable for 3+ years.
Original post by mike23mike
Even your back up unis - Warwick, Bath etc - are highly regarded unis so choosing any of them after Oxford/ Cambridge would be a safe move. Spend some time to look at the course content and teaching style at each of the uni's you are considering. Thus, if a particular branch of psychology interests you and uni XXX does not major in that then you can rule that uni out.

Original post by swanseajack1
All the hotels you are looking at are very competitive and you run the risk of 5 rejections. Just because you have excellent GCSE results and predictions doesnt guarantee you offers and every year students like you end up with nothing. Go for Cambridge and 1 London university not 2 due to risk and 3 out of Bristol, Bath. Warwick and Exeter. Do not add LSE and ST andrews onto Cambridge, UCL and KCL.

Original post by sleep_supremacy
Oxbridge and the London unis (UCL, KCL, LSE) are super competitive and you run the risk of five rejections if you spread yourself too thin. Don't forget that just as you have high grades, so does everyone else applying (and this is precisely why it is so competitive!). At such a high level, admissions tend to be really subjective over what kind of student they want which is why a number of people get rejected from these unis even with top grades. Your PS plays more of a role there.

I'd advise you to look at the course modules for each uni you've shortlisted (you mention that you don't want to go into clinical psych) - do your current choices offer modules on those lines? I've heard good things about the psych department at Bath and Exeter - of course, the decision is ultimately yours.

You still have time - do your research, and good luck! :smile:

Original post by PQ
Book on and attend open days.

Cambridge is a very different place to live and study than London. Think about the environment and place that YOU will thrive in and then look for universities offering that environment. If you love big city life then Cambridge might not be a good choice and vice versa. You won’t benefit from a degree if you’re miserable for 3+ years.

Thanks for all your responses!!! I am fully aware that my grades do not guarantee me an offer, and that all of the unis i’ve listed are competitive, which I why I asked for suggestions on unis which are a safer option. I appreciate the advice on looking through the course modules, as tbh even if a uni is easier to get into, if the course is something I wouldn’t enjoy I would much rather reapply or go for a different option. I have booked open days for around 6 unis so far as well so hopefully that will give me a better idea of what i’m looking for. Thanks!
Reply 8

Just be aware that a degree is Psychology doesn't make you a Psychologist - you will need a Masters degree, a PhD and years experience - see https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/clinical-psychologist - and its a very overcrowded field at entry (graduate) level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending