The Student Room Group

A question about upper secondary history curriculm in the uk

In 2001 I had finished my degree at uni and became a temp history teacher in a sami village in Norhern Norway. My curriculm in Norway consisted of mostly national and european history. I would teach them about how the country became independent, WWII and major events. What I would not be required to do, and probably wouldn't have had the knowledge to do anyway being from another part of the country, was teach them local history. I remember once hearing about a certain sacred spot for the Sami, but on arrival all i could see were some scratches on a rock.

During my first year at uni at the start of the 90s, I was at the university of York at a compulsory English course. I remember visiting the home of the Brontes, Bradford and several cotton mills.

So, when I stood on the Sami mountain side years later, looking at the small scratch, I thought, well they teach what they have? There are no buildings here, no ancient traces of empire?

In the UK, how much of the curriculum in school is fixed, or directed by national guidelines? Is there room for local history, you have so much of it? Is it required?
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending