The Student Room Group

Easiest Route to becoming a teacher in the USA?

I'm currently in my third and final year of my UG degree in history and I want to pursue secondary teaching as a career after I graduate. I've applied for a PG in secondary education which is a year starting September. I'm considering moving to the USA to teach, probably permanently as it is somewhere I've always wanted to live. I read that 3 years of UG study and a PG are enough to qualify for teaching in the USA but they will also obviously prefer people to have some experience in the classroom beforehand. Unfortunately the PG can't be part time only full time so I can't use a second year to gain work experience.

Should I try and find some teaching experience in the UK for two years after I graduate my Masters and then prepare to move to the USA to teach? I think that is probably the best option but I'd prefer to hear what is best for me to do from someone else who knows more about this stuff than I do.
Original post by InterestingDoubt
I'm currently in my third and final year of my UG degree in history and I want to pursue secondary teaching as a career after I graduate. I've applied for a PG in secondary education which is a year starting September. I'm considering moving to the USA to teach, probably permanently as it is somewhere I've always wanted to live. I read that 3 years of UG study and a PG are enough to qualify for teaching in the USA but they will also obviously prefer people to have some experience in the classroom beforehand. Unfortunately the PG can't be part time only full time so I can't use a second year to gain work experience.

Should I try and find some teaching experience in the UK for two years after I graduate my Masters and then prepare to move to the USA to teach? I think that is probably the best option but I'd prefer to hear what is best for me to do from someone else who knows more about this stuff than I do.

You're better off teaching in the UK for the first couple of years so you can complete your ECT Induction (it takes two years) and it also means you'll find it easier to find a job in the UK if you ever wanted to move back here to teach.
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
You're better off teaching in the UK for the first couple of years so you can complete your ECT Induction (it takes two years) and it also means you'll find it easier to find a job in the UK if you ever wanted to move back here to teach.

Is the ECT induction further teacher training after my post graduate degree is finished? Or are new teachers placed in schools as trainee teachers? Will this enable me to be eligible to teach in both the uk and the us because looking online some British teachers who have emigrated to the USA have said the process of becoming a teacher there is complicated and others have said it is relatively simple, so I’m not sure which is more accurate.
Original post by InterestingDoubt
Is the ECT induction further teacher training after my post graduate degree is finished? Or are new teachers placed in schools as trainee teachers? Will this enable me to be eligible to teach in both the uk and the us because looking online some British teachers who have emigrated to the USA have said the process of becoming a teacher there is complicated and others have said it is relatively simple, so I’m not sure which is more accurate.

ECT Induction is mandatory for all newly qualified teachers (or early career teachers as they now call it) to complete. It's basically a normal full-time teaching job but you get additional training and support. I suggest you read this: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/induction-for-early-career-teachers-england

I don't know anything about moving to teach in the US, so I can't advise on that.
(edited 2 years ago)
Sorry I know this is a bit old. I want to become a qualified teacher and was planning to do a PGCE in the next few years as I need to save enough money first in order to not have to work as much. However, something has come up that might mean I’m moving to the US sooner than I would be getting my pgce, is it possible to train to teach in the US with a bachelors, and is there any requirement of a 2:1 or something?
Reply 5
I've been teaching for a number of years in the UK and am looking at the possibility of moving to the states. Have you had any joy with finding work there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending