The Student Room Group

Teacher Training 2024 Applicants Thread

Less than 2 months till applications open (on the 10th of October at 9am)!

I'm hopefully going to be applying for Secondary Maths PGCE at unis in the North East of England. I've had 3 weeks in a secondary school as well as a morning a week for about 6 months in a primary school and tutoring on the side. Hopefully applications go well!
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi Guys!

I'm hopefully going to be applying for Secondary English PGCE at unis in Manchester! I'm a wee bit apprehensive on the curriculum knowledge side of things, so if anyone could point me in the direction of some useful resources that would be grand!

Good luck everyone.
Posting to subscribe :blow:

Welcome to the best job in the world!
(If you like crying and snot :tongue:)

I trained in History teaching during 2020/21 and have been teaching a range of subjects since then (secondary).

If anyone's got questions, quote this post and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Good luck to all of you in your applications and interviews. :dancing:
Reply 3
What month do the applications open for 2024-25?
Original post by k.owsar

Should be October.
One of the unis I'm considering is Durham, however, slightly put off with the fact it wasn't approved by the DfE and now has to partner with Newcastle for the QTS part of the course.

Will this be viewed badly by employers? Is it likely that there will be issues with the course organisation due to the new partnership with Newcastle?
Original post by Uni_student3132
Will this be viewed badly by employers?
Is it likely that there will be issues with the course organisation due to the new partnership with Newcastle?

Schools won't care about the DfE ******* around with people's accreditation as long as you have the right paperwork when you complete.
I don't know, to be honest. This has never happened on a large scale before :iiam:
Original post by 04MR17
Schools won't care about the DfE ******* around with people's accreditation as long as you have the right paperwork when you complete.
I don't know, to be honest. This has never happened on a large scale before :iiam:

I'll probably end up preferring to just go to Newcastle anyway. I've heard better things about the course and their website seems to be much clearer with what it will involve.

Just a few more questions that hopefully someone can answer.

1. Does 11-16 vs 11-18 matter that much? None of the courses in my area are 11-18, although Newcastle does offer experience at Sixth Form level. Will this just mean I shouldn't really apply for schools with a sixth form, or if I did, I wouldn't get given the 16-18 age range to teach after qualifying?

2. Does university matter for teaching abroad? I have at least a small desire currently that I may end up teaching abroad at some point. I know university doesn't really matter for the UK, but does it abroad? Also, does 11-16 vs 11-18 matter as well for teaching abroad?

3. How much do universities take into account your location and transport for placements? Newcastle is around an hour away by train, with the education building around 1 hour 20. I'm happy to do this for the time we need to be at uni, but I don't want my placement to be this far if possible. I don't currently have a car (but can get one with the bursary/scholarship hopefully). Hopefully, unis in the area will have placements in the County Durham area.

4. Which of these is the better reference? A morning a week in a primary school for approximately 6 months or 15 days in a secondary school? Just conflicted as the primary school was for longer so may give a better idea of what I'm like, but the secondary school one is more appropriate for the course. I'm still at uni so I'm aware the first reference has to be from someone there.
(edited 7 months ago)
If I don't reply to you by tonight please quote this post
Original post by 04MR17
If I don't reply to you by tonight please quote this post

Unless I can't tell the time or know what day it is, it appears that you didn't reply :smile:
Original post by Uni_student3132
I'll probably end up preferring to just go to Newcastle anyway. I've heard better things about the course and their website seems to be much clearer with what it will involve.

Just a few more questions that hopefully someone can answer.

1. Does 11-16 vs 11-18 matter that much? None of the courses in my area are 11-18, although Newcastle does offer experience at Sixth Form level. Will this just mean I shouldn't really apply for schools with a sixth form, or if I did, I wouldn't get given the 16-18 age range to teach after qualifying?

2. Does university matter for teaching abroad? I have at least a small desire currently that I may end up teaching abroad at some point. I know university doesn't really matter for the UK, but does it abroad? Also, does 11-16 vs 11-18 matter as well for teaching abroad?

3. How much do universities take into account your location and transport for placements? Newcastle is around an hour away by train, with the education building around 1 hour 20. I'm happy to do this for the time we need to be at uni, but I don't want my placement to be this far if possible. I don't currently have a car (but can get one with the bursary/scholarship hopefully). Hopefully, unis in the area will have placements in the County Durham area.

4. Which of these is the better reference? A morning a week in a primary school for approximately 6 months or 15 days in a secondary school? Just conflicted as the primary school was for longer so may give a better idea of what I'm like, but the secondary school one is more appropriate for the course. I'm still at uni so I'm aware the first reference has to be from someone there.

1. No. Legally you'd be able to teach primary with the qualification. You still have Qualified Teachers Status at the end. Meaning you're able to teach. An 11-16 programme just means they can't guarantee you will get school placements that have an 16-18 offer. So they can't guarantee you will be trained to teach up to 18. Some parts of the UK will not offer this as in some areas the majority of schools have no sixth forms and majority of alumni go onto an FE college.

2. Not my expertise but shouldn't do, no.

3. That's a conversation to have with them at interview. Every provider does things differently.

4. I would choose the primary school, due to longevity.
Original post by 04MR17
1. No. Legally you'd be able to teach primary with the qualification. You still have Qualified Teachers Status at the end. Meaning you're able to teach. An 11-16 programme just means they can't guarantee you will get school placements that have an 16-18 offer. So they can't guarantee you will be trained to teach up to 18. Some parts of the UK will not offer this as in some areas the majority of schools have no sixth forms and majority of alumni go onto an FE college.

2. Not my expertise but shouldn't do, no.

3. That's a conversation to have with them at interview. Every provider does things differently.

4. I would choose the primary school, due to longevity.

Thank you! Very helpful and definitely helped answer some of my concerns.

I believe applications open in less than a month so I'm happy to have those concerns sorted sooner rather than later.

Now I just have to hope the primary school hasn't somehow forgot me! Although only stopped going in April, I doubt their memory is that bad 😆
Got all my details in the application, my references sorted, and my personal statement nearly finished. Just need to wait for applications to open next month now!

What courses and unis does everyone want to apply to?
Original post by k.owsar

To be a bit more specific, applications open from 9am on the 10th of October. You can start searching for courses from 9am on the 3rd of October.

I'll add this to the first post to make it clear for everyone.
Hi Guys,
I am going to apply to UCL to do a PGCE in Citizenship.

Is it best to apply in October?
Original post by Talia23567
Hi Guys,
I am going to apply to UCL to do a PGCE in Citizenship.

Is it best to apply in October?

Courses are essentially first come, first serve and will close applications once all their places are filled so yes, it is best to apply ASAP.
You can now search for courses for 2024 start and add them to your application (but can't submit them yet, that opens next week).
Original post by 04MR17
Posting to subscribe :blow:

Welcome to the best job in the world!
(If you like crying and snot :tongue:)

I trained in History teaching during 2020/21 and have been teaching a range of subjects since then (secondary).

If anyone's got questions, quote this post and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Good luck to all of you in your applications and interviews. :dancing:

What is the interview process like? I am really panicking about the skills tests, particularly Maths. Do you know how many places roughly each provider offers? I am currently working towards GCSE equivalent so am worried that will set me back amongst other candidates.
Sorry to offload...
TIA!
Original post by auroragroh
What is the interview process like? I am really panicking about the skills tests, particularly Maths. Do you know how many places roughly each provider offers? I am currently working towards GCSE equivalent so am worried that will set me back amongst other candidates.
Sorry to offload...
TIA!

What are you applying for?
Primary or secondary?
Original post by 04MR17
What are you applying for?
Primary or secondary?

Hey thanks for replying!
Secondary - I currently work in a school as a teaching assistant so hoping to do this at my school if poss :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending