The Student Room Group

Do they make lower offers if they really want you?

You mean unis?
Original post by Hamish MacLeod

No
Lower offers means either you meet their criteria for a lower offer (based on personal characteristics) or they are desperate for students.
(Original post by Hamish MacLeod)Do they make lower offers if they really want you?

No offers tend to be standard offers or lower contextual offers if you meet those condition. Sometimes universities accept lower grades if on result day they havent filled their spaces.
Reply 4
Original post by Bookworm524
You mean unis?

Yes

Hey there @Hamish MacLeod !
The answer tends to be no. If a university really wants you, they'd probably offer you an unconditional offer. An unconditional offer means no matter what grades you get in your exams, you've got a place there. I got one unconditional offer and I think that was because the entry requirements were C's and B's and I was predicted to get all A's (didn't end up happening). I decided not to go to that university anyway but it was nice it was offered. They don't tend to lower entry requirements. If for example, a course has extra places left after results day and you apply through clearing it might be possible to get into that course with lower entry requirements. In the initial stages however, it's usually the offer they send you that still stands.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 6
No - no-one is that 'special'.
Reply 7
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there @Hamish MacLeod !
The answer tends to be no. If a university really wants you, they'd probably offer you an unconditional offer. An unconditional offer means no matter what grades you get in your exams, you've got a place there. I got one unconditional offer and I think that was because the entry requirements were C's and B's and I was predicted to get all A's (didn't end up happening). I decided not to go to that university anyway but it was nice it was offered. They don't tend to lower entry requirements. If for example, a course has extra places left after results day and you apply through clearing it might be possible to get into that course with lower entry requirements. In the initial stages however, it's usually the offer they send you that still stands.

Hope this helped!

So, if I’m understanding you correctly, a uni that states AAB in their prospectus won’t offer ABB to anyone. Their offers would instead be a mix of AAB and unconditional. Is that correct?
So, if I’m understanding you correctly, a uni that states AAB in their prospectus won’t offer ABB to anyone. Their offers would instead be a mix of AAB and unconditional. Is that correct?

They would offer AAB to most but a lower offer if somebody is entitled to a contextual offer. Sometimes a university will offer a lower offer if you are taking a particular subject eg Further Maths for Maths. Most universities are not making unconditional offers as these were outlawed a few years ago. I think Birmingham have been offering CCC in some cases in order to attract students but the general rule is unis dont offer lower grades.

Hey there @Hamish MacLeod!
Thank you for your response!

No, the entry requirements on their website tends to be the ones you'll be offered. Russell Group universities very very rarely will offer unconditional offers to anyone, it's more like your polytechnics with the lower entry requirements that will. So if your entry requirements are AAB, the likelihood of them offering you an unconditional is quite slim. But in the sense that an AAB course won't offer ABB to anyone, yes that's most likely true. They will offer you a lower entry requirement in clearing if they have the spare space on the course, but not always.

Hope this helped!
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there @Hamish MacLeod!
Thank you for your response!

No, the entry requirements on their website tends to be the ones you'll be offered. Russell Group universities very very rarely will offer unconditional offers to anyone, it's more like your polytechnics with the lower entry requirements that will. So if your entry requirements are AAB, the likelihood of them offering you an unconditional is quite slim. But in the sense that an AAB course won't offer ABB to anyone, yes that's most likely true. They will offer you a lower entry requirement in clearing if they have the spare space on the course, but not always.

Hope this helped!

"Polytechnics"??? 🤔
Original post by ageshallnot
"Polytechnics"??? 🤔

1E29805D-42FA-4BE6-A53C-004AEF28CB37.jpeg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending