The Student Room Group

Predicted grades

I have gotten my predicted grades and they are what the uni needs except for one of them. I am predicted one less in one of my subjects than what they want. Do i still have a chance and is it worth applying?
It will depend on which university and course you are interested. Very top universities and things like Medicine you wont get offers. Lower universities and less competitive subjects you will probably get offers.
Reply 2
I am applying to a gateway into medicine at plymouth but my relevant subjects (Bio & Chem) are the ones that are predicted as what the uni expects. Its just my 3rd A level that is predicted 1 lower. Do you think it is still worth applying? Its just because they don't expect the UCAT which will make it easier for me as my UCAT score was not the best.

Thank you very much.
Original post by swanseajack1
It will depend on which university and course you are interested. Very top universities and things like Medicine you wont get offers. Lower universities and less competitive subjects you will probably get offers.
Original post by user101225
I am applying to a gateway into medicine at plymouth but my relevant subjects (Bio & Chem) are the ones that are predicted as what the uni expects. Its just my 3rd A level that is predicted 1 lower. Do you think it is still worth applying? Its just because they don't expect the UCAT which will make it easier for me as my UCAT score was not the best.

Thank you very much.

I am not an expert in this but for gateway to medicine I doubt there will be any leeway. Ask Plymouth as only they can tell you for definite.
Original post by user101225
I have gotten my predicted grades and they are what the uni needs except for one of them. I am predicted one less in one of my subjects than what they want. Do i still have a chance and is it worth applying?

Hey @user101225,

It can definitely still be worth applying! Don't worry, hope is far from being lost.

First thing to note is that it's just a predicted grade - universities know that many students will end up doing even better than these grades in their actual exams! The clearing process is always there to support students who are in this position.

It's also always worth checking in the university considers UCAS tariff points - this essentially means that if you get a really high grade in your chosen degree-related subject, it might make up for a lower grade in a possibly less-related subject. You can read a bit more about that here. Though again, not all universities do accept students based on tariff points, so it's worth emailing your university admissions department!

Some universities may also offer contextual grades, which consider a student's individual circumstances that may have affected their grade outcomes, so that is definitely worth checking if your top uni choice offers that and if you'd be eligible!

From my own personal experience, I didn't get the grades I needed for the uni course that I'm on - yet I still managed to get onto an AAA course, with ABB grades. I took some time out between graduating from college and applying to uni, and it gave me time to gain some work, volunteering, and life experience, and sign up to things I could talk about in my personal statement that were highly relevant to my chosen degree - that kind of thing really reflects well in an application, and can make or break your chances of being accepted when your grades are on the borderline. I can pretty confidently say my personal statement is almost definitely how I was got my place!

It also really depends on course demand - if not as many people are applying in a certain year, you might be more likely to be accepted. There might also be an interview stage for your course, where you can really get the opportunity to wow them and set yourself apart from other candidates who might have slightly higher grades on paper. There's loads of different factors that go into the admissions process. These things, you just won't ever know unless you give it a shot! I definitely wouldn't be studying my course right now if I didn't take the risk. :smile:

Hope all this helps!

Millie
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Reply 5
Thank you so much, that was very helpful! I've been stressing about it all day so thank you for taking time out of your day to help me. This has definitely helped me to make my decision. I think I have all the relevant qualifications in other aspects for my course so hopefully it should be ok. Hope your course is going great for you. Thank you again!!
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey @user101225,

It can definitely still be worth applying! Don't worry, hope is far from being lost.

First thing to note is that it's just a predicted grade - universities know that many students will end up doing even better than these grades in their actual exams! The clearing process is always there to support students who are in this position.

It's also always worth checking in the university considers UCAS tariff points - this essentially means that if you get a really high grade in your chosen degree-related subject, it might make up for a lower grade in a possibly less-related subject. You can read a bit more about that here. Though again, not all universities do accept students based on tariff points, so it's worth emailing your university admissions department!

Some universities may also offer contextual grades, which consider a student's individual circumstances that may have affected their grade outcomes, so that is definitely worth checking if your top uni choice offers that and if you'd be eligible!

From my own personal experience, I didn't get the grades I needed for the uni course that I'm on - yet I still managed to get onto an AAA course, with ABB grades. I took some time out between graduating from college and applying to uni, and it gave me time to gain some work, volunteering, and life experience, and sign up to things I could talk about in my personal statement that were highly relevant to my chosen degree - that kind of thing really reflects well in an application, and can make or break your chances of being accepted when your grades are on the borderline. I can pretty confidently say my personal statement is almost definitely how I was got my place!

It also really depends on course demand - if not as many people are applying in a certain year, you might be more likely to be accepted. There might also be an interview stage for your course, where you can really get the opportunity to wow them and set yourself apart from other candidates who might have slightly higher grades on paper. There's loads of different factors that go into the admissions process. These things, you just won't ever know unless you give it a shot! I definitely wouldn't be studying my course right now if I didn't take the risk. :smile:

Hope all this helps!

Millie
Lancaster Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending