The Student Room Group

Advice on preparing for Maths degree

I will be starting my Maths degree in September and want to be fully prepared for it as I have a slight fear that I will be overwhelmed if I do not. I am also on a gap year and haven't touched maths in about a year so I feel that it would be a good idea to start preparing. I plan to go over A level Maths again, probably not all of it but at least all of the pure content, as this seems pretty doable given the time that I have. I did not do Further Maths, but my University did not require it for entry, is it still worth studying in preparation for my degree? Shall I focus on just making sure my A level Maths is really solid instead of trying to learn further maths since the uni will teach it anyway? Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by noyou1234
I will be starting my Maths degree in September and want to be fully prepared for it as I have a slight fear that I will be overwhelmed if I do not. I am also on a gap year and haven't touched maths in about a year so I feel that it would be a good idea to start preparing. I plan to go over A level Maths again, probably not all of it but at least all of the pure content, as this seems pretty doable given the time that I have. I did not do Further Maths, but my University did not require it for entry, is it still worth studying in preparation for my degree? Shall I focus on just making sure my A level Maths is really solid instead of trying to learn further maths since the uni will teach it anyway? Any advice would be appreciated.

Depends on the uni. If further was an entry requirement, then theyll assume all students know/have it.

But going over your a level maths is certainly recommended after a gap year and there are a few books about how to study maths and bridge the gap to uni maths which may be worth dipping into.
Reply 2
Again, depends on the uni. That said, maths at uni is quite different than in A-Levels in terms of style of learning. But there is always academic support if you struggle.

Note that if A-Levels stuff is taught again, it will be at a much faster pace.

If you are really worried, I'd say sharpen your integration skills, which itself include a lot of other things like trig and algebra manipulation. Curve sketching is really nice as well. Or if you don't really like calculus (like me), I don't see why you can't read ahead with more proof-y stuff. But nothing here is required to succeed in a maths degree before starting one.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest